Rear Seat Delete

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by J.Dubs, Jun 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

Has anyone done a rear seat delete on an SE yet? Would love to save the weight but only if I can find a good kit that mantains the look if the interrior. Any suggestions?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Look for a wrecked John Cooper Works MINI. They don't have rear seats.

4. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

I thought that was just a GP thing.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  5. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Yeah that's just a GP thing.

Rear seat delete will be my first mod if/when I get an SE. I did that on my R53 and it turned out really well. I made my own platform to sit where the seats were. Plywood, a couple pieces of 2x4, wrapped in carpet. It was really easy and increased the usuable space for camping by quite a bit.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Oops. Probably fewer wrecked GP's available than JCW's

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

You wouldn’t do one of the “kits”?

9. chrunck

I wouldn't personally. I'm a woodworker and like to build things, so making my own is much more satisfying than buying something off the shelf.

Here's a pic from my R53.

[​IMG]

J.Dubs likes this.
  10. chrunck

One more pic for kicks. I used to keep the jack and a first aid kit underneath it.

[​IMG]

insightman and endquote like this.
  11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The batteries partially exist under the rear seats, so you can't lower the profile much. I'm not sure removing the padded seats will save enough weight to make a noticeable difference on range. Plus when the seats are down it creates a flat cargo area, so a good liner or pad would have close the same effect as a seatless GP.

But to try as a fun project? Go for it. Just don't be disappointed by the battery location.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

I wonder if I can get the GP parts. I would want it to be level with the rear cargo floor