Reading the plow-fitment tea leaves

Discussion in 'F-150 Lightning' started by NRH, May 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. NRH

NRH Active Member

I’m very interested in replacing my Tundra with a Lightning, but I need to be able to plow snow at my properties. I thought it might be useful to have a thread where we drop info about this topic, as it unfolds over the next year or so.

To fit a plow, you need a model-specific subframe that bolts to the truck’s frame, and you need a wiring harness that provides the juice to run the plow’s electric-over-hydraulic controls off the vehicle’s 12v system.

I’m hearing that the frame will be either identical, or very similar to the ICE F150. The electric is anyone’s guess though, as it seems the 12v system could be significantly different on an EV version. Hopefully Ford’s apparent goal of making the Lightning a familiar part of their F150 lineup will mean that they’ve designed a cross-compatible 12v system in the new truck.

I asked BOSS plows about the Lightning, and they tell me that they’ll know by fall if the Lightning can use the same subframe and harness at the ICE version. If yes, Boss plows will fit this fall. If they need to design a new harness or subframe, it’ll probably be summer ‘23 before they can fit a plow on the Lightning.

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. NRH

NRH Active Member

In addition to harness fitment, there’s the question of 12v charging capacity. To keep up with the amperage draw of a light-duty plow, the charging system needs to supply enough amps to replace what the plow motor sucked out of the 12v battery, and enough reserve in the battery to even out the spikes.

Will they build that into the F150, or can it be added? Based on the attached file, it looks like they didn’t. Adding a deep cycle battery in the frunk, with a 120v charger seems like an available fox though. Might be better to keep that load off the trucks own 12v system.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Power is definitely a big question. But is it necessary to draw from the 12 V battery? That's the only option in an ICE truck, but the Lightning has 120 V outlets built into the frunk, supposedly up to 2.4 kW. Maybe as simple as plugging the plow hydraulics into an outlet?

As for keeping the load off the high voltage batteries, I don't think that's an issue at all. BEVs charge their 12 V batteries from the high voltage system, and moving the vehicle itself has to be a pretty high draw so I'd think the batteries can handle plow hydraulics.

5. NRH

NRH Active Member

Plows are designed to draw from the 12v system because that’s all they had, previously. It’s unlikely the plow manufacturers will redesign the plow power pack itself, just to suit the Lightning, so a 120v setup would be a custom thing. It gets complicated because all the control wiring is 12v. Someone could do it, I’m sure, but I’m not that guy. I’ll stick with an off the shelf solution (or close to it anyways)

Domenick likes this.