Raise ground clearance?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by world citizen, Dec 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. world citizen

world citizen New Member

Does it look possible to increase the ground clearance by about 2" / 5cm to on A Kona with raiser blocks?
    I could make those myself if it's feasible.
    Would appreciate it if someone with a bit of engineering knowledge could look at how the suspension is mounted and give an opinion.
    I live in the countryside (azores Islands) and need the ability to go down unmade tracks.
    I am not interested in handling, the speed limit here is 50mph / 80kmh.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Tough nut to crack. I am not a automotive mechanical engineer but have spent 10 years in traffic engineering research. I also do most my own mechanical work. Small disclosure, you will probably screw up your drivetrain warrantee. That said, 2" is a lot to raise a suspension without modifying the frame of the vehicle. I would jack up each wheel independently and see if you can get 2" on each wheel. Next I would take careful measurements on the shocks to see if there might by chance be a air shock modification that you could inflate when needed so as not to drastically degrade handling when not needed. You might even speak with custom chop shops for a airbag solution. They do make bags that go into your springs that expand to stiffen and/or raise your suspension. Be sure you test the turning radius at the extension so you do not damage your tires with interaction with the wheel well.
    Blocks are cheaper but they also take all give out of the suspension. You hit a big hole and might break something without any give. Good luck.

4. It is not as simple as inserting raiser blocks on the cross members. If you insert the blocks you change the suspension geometry. In addition the steering linkage would need to lengthened as well possibly the drive axles, unless you planed on lowering the entire drive train, which would entail other issues. Either longer struts would be needed on the front or the upper strut mount would need to be lowered as well. In the rear the suspension is a four link with a trailing arm. So either the trailing arm attachment point would need to be lowered or the tailing arm would need to be lengthened and the geometry re adjusted. Having just looked under my car I would say it is not a simple procure. If you happen to be an expert fabricator and very good at suspension set up it is possible but it is probably not worth the effort.

5. world citizen

world citizen New Member

Yes, It's not as simple as just putting blocks in, especially on the front wheels. Sadly there are no Konas on this island, or any other EVs that I know of, yet.
    There are, however, a few raised ICE 4WDs. Now wondering if the Dacia Spring might be up to that modification... Thanks for the replies so far.

6. As I stated in your earlier post in the general forum you could put larger tiers (tyers) on the Kona. A two inch increase in diameter would give you one inch increase in ground clearance. Much beyond that and you will run intro clearance problems in the wheel well and tire rubbing on turning. You might be able to go even as far as a 3" increase in diameter and get and 1.5 inches of additional ground clearance, but that would be really tight and you would want to really measure well before getting tires.
    If you combined increased tire diameter with stiffer spring you might be able to get to 2 additional inches in ground clearance. With stiffer spring the kona will be higher but you will also move the suspension off of center between full compression of the spring and full drop. In other words less downward travel of the suspension and more upward travel. You could stiffen the springs with inserts (spring rubber) This would be the least expensive way to test different spring rates.

Another option is to purchase one of the new EV pickups coming out in the next couple of years

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. world citizen

world citizen New Member

That's great, KiwiME!!! This gives almost 2" of extra height!
    Add to that a little more with bigger diameter tires (max 5% allowed for insurance reasons here) and I have what I am looking for.

"The new SPACCER car lift kit for your Hyundai Kona. The high quality spiral ring is made of special aluminum. Due to custom-made parts based on chassis number it fits 100%. The SPACCER-system also reduces noises such as chattering, clatter, knocking and rattling. And the installation is very quick and easy."

They even do kits for other EVs!
    Lots of youtube vids as well:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  9. Its a bit too spendy for me, looks like if you go for the full height lift its over $1600 for the spacers and rubber.

10. world citizen

world citizen New Member

It's too expensive but it shows that it can be done with spacers and nothing else to about the height I need (plus bigger tyres).
    I can make spacers relatively easily on my lathe or milling machine from steel or cast them from aluminium.
    Looks like most cars can be raised a bit.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  11. To remove this ad click here.