Question regarding EV range and centre console tray

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Jason, Aug 10, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jason

Jason New Member

I've had my Clarity for 1 month now and just love it. What I find amazing is that I'm getting roughly 93 KMs per charge. I keep the car in Econ mode but drive it just like I did my '08 TL! Most of my driving is in the city, which is probably why I'm getting such amazing range. Has anyone else noticed better-than-advertised range?

As for the console tray, it's a shame they didn't use a rubber liner for the bottom of the tray. Everything slides around in there while driving. Has anyone bought the Honda console tray liner? If so, does it have more grip than just using the try by itself?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. weave

weave Active Member

Most of us are getting better than the advertised mileage in EV mode -- but that won't last long. The colder weather here soon enough is going to kill that. :-(

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I bought it on line for around $17 hoping for it to fix the sliding around problem. It is a little more rubbery or grippy than the console but not as much as I expected. I am looking for a piece of non skip material to cut to fit to solve this.

Summertime with just the AC on gives very good EV range. Winter with resistance heating for cabin and defroster, coupled with a cold soaked battery will significantly reduce your range. The real sweet spot is the swing seasons when you don’t use heat or AC, then you’ll see your range go up another 6 or 7 Kms.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  5. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

I usually charge to below 100% but the couple of times I did fully charge recently, the EV range said 70 miles. I don't know if I would have gotten that because I recharge well before 0% but the range number drop was less than my actual miles driven both times so it probably wasn't so far off.

6. weave

weave Active Member

So basically all year in a place like Humboldt County, California! :p

ClarityDoc likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. EV range varies by a lot of factors. I don't see a good reason trying to compare with others.
    It has been 100F+ degree for many days and with AC on all time doesn't help the range in So Cal.

9. bfd

bfd Active Member

Well, you guys get some wet roads for long periods, and that might cut down on the EV mileage/range a little bit. But not nearly as much as swings in temperature.

10. Carro con enchufe

Carro con enchufe Active Member

Then you’ll really have a “green” car

11. Chuck

Chuck Member

As far as the console I agree is should not have been so slick. I did not want to spend almost $20 so I raided the kitchen and used about 25 cents of the soft rubber shelf liner that is made to cushion knives. Since it is black it is almost invisible(unless you hit it with a camera flash) and is quite 'sticky'. Nothing slides around on it.

Attached Files:

ywallet, ClarityDoc, rickyrsx and 5 others like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JJim

JJim Active Member

I will follow you. Someone had posted the 100% scale picture of the console mat but I couldn't find out, so I will post it here if anyone want to DIY

Attached Files:

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I scanned and measured Honda's hard rubber accessory phone mat if you'd like to make one from an old mouse pad or something else.
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/clarity-accessory-phone-mat.2391/

Jason N likes this.
  15. Jason

Jason New Member

Ha, this is exactly what I was going to do today! I only have the white stuff at home so going to the $ store to get some black. Good to know it will work.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Inside EVs mobile app

16. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

Are the any benefits to the optional OEM console tray liner, for example does it have higher sides or compartments? I'm a bit disappointed that Honda didn't do more with this area because the sides are so low that stuff falls out and anything small slides around. Definitely needs a gripper surface and it would have been a big improvement if it had some small compartments built in, instead of one big slippery shelf area.

17. Atul Thakkar

Atul Thakkar Active Member

There should be some spray that can fo the similar job . that way we do need to take measurements