Question for those with OBD2 reader - what does your minimum deterioration show?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Jan 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I just realized that mine went up from 0.2 to 0.3%.. I'm not sure if it has something to do with it but recently, I have driven many miles at higher speed.. I used to drive mostly around town before but in recent weeks, I often drove longer distances at 75 - 85 mph... Not sure if driving style affects battery degradation??
    All my cells are still always within 0.02 volts but my lowest voltage is no longer at cell 39.. It shifted to cell 27 I believe..

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

2019 Kia Niro EV with almost 10K miles. Per Torque Pro's reading of the car's data, degradation of 0. Differential voltage of the 98 cells is 0.000. (yes, i set it for 3 decimal places)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

4. FloridaSun

I don't think that it's possible that the cells are ALWAYS within 0.000.... There has to be some variation while charging.. Most of the time, all 98 cell groups are the same voltage but during charging, the voltages don't change at the same time.. I don't think that 3 digits make a difference, at least on the Kona. The Kona only has 2 digit voltages.. I tried 3 digits but it only shows values for 2 digits in .02 volt intervals

5. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Aha. I've begun to develop some scepticism about the pids (from jejusoul), beginning with the 12V data. Maybe this pid isn't accurate, either.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

6. The cell voltages are not going to be reliable when driving because the current varies so much and they are not all read at exactly the same time. Charging would provide a somewhat smoother current but still measurements only make sense when the battery is at a very steady or zero current. I just happened to log this yesterday while driving. The deviation dithers between zero and 0.02V, ignoring the outlier.

"0.02" would certainly mean an actual 0.020 to 0.039 V, fitting the resolution of the A/D.

Cell min-max correlation vs cell voltage.PNG

I don't think there is any correlation between cell deviation and deterioration. They are different things.

cyberelectronics and Esprit1st like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 0% at 10k

9. FloridaSun

my car always showed 0 minumum deterioration until the last update.. (196)
    It went to 0.2% deterioration after the update and now 0.3%