Question for those with OBD2 dongles and Torque Pro/SoulSpy

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Nov 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

What is your pack Voltage at 100% SoC?? (SoC Display of course)
    I'm asking because there seems to be a large discrepancy between Konas..
    A gentleman in New Zealand reports that his voltage at 100% SoC is 398 Volts and he is at 90000km/56000 miles.. My Voltage was never that low.. When I got Torque Pro at 15k miles or so, I was at 408 Volts and now I'm at 409 Volts.. What Voltage at 100% does everyone have?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

Your pack is only as strong as the weakest cell, single cell degradation will pull 100% voltage down to that weak cell level, as early gen1 Leaf owners will tell you. A well balanced pack will remain higher longer, giving better range, but ultimately, all EV’s will decline, due to calendar aging primarily, but can be premature if usage isn’t optimal..

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  4. This was asked on SpeakEV a few weeks back. It seems most report around 407-409 V.
    An interesting calculation would be to divide that by 98 and compare that per-cell group voltage with the list of individual cell group voltages.
    Perhaps that average will drop over age from 4.17 to 4.06 but I’d want to see more than that one datapoint before assuming anything.

5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I don't think that voltages will drop.. Based on my understanding, voltages will rise as cells degrade.. I used to be at 407.x Volt and now I'm at 408.8 Volt.
    Mark Buckingham's voltage at 100% is under 400 Volt.. This is very strange to me.. 8 Volt is huge difference..

6. I think that the final resting voltage at 100% SOC may be a very inconsistent way to judge battery degradation. All batteries should have similar "full" voltages compared to their own baseline, i.e. Mark's 100% SOC pack voltage was probably always around 400V. What seems more significant is how fast the "full" voltage reading drops. When a battery is new the voltage drop curve is slow, relatively linear and gradual. In a battery that has degraded with increased internal resistance it may very well show a full cell voltage at 4.17V like a new battery but it will rapidly drop to 3.9V( I picked this value arbitrarily) under load and then do its slow linear drop. Ultimately voltage measurements give us a clue to degradation but the they are no substitute to measuring internal resistance. I just don't know of a easy non destructive way to do that with our EVs.

TARA CLAUDIU likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.