Question: difference between BEV+range extender vs PHEV vs Plug-In Hybrid?

Discussion in 'General' started by Crota, Oct 8, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Crota

Crota Member

I'm reading up on all the latest EV stuff now that I have a Clarity but I'm still a little confused about all the naming conventions.

Plug-In Hybrids vs PHEV vs BEV + Range Extenders.

Is there an article that explains all the naming conventions and what they mean and how they are difference from each other?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

• Plug-in Hybrids = PHEV = BEV + Range Extenders
    They all have:
    1. J1772 plug to feed a charger in car for the batteries
    2. Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) a gasoline/diesel engine
    Now there are flavors and variations:
    • Pacifica van - almost no control over gas or electric driving as the engine comes on as the control laws demand. Still you can put a charge on the battery and significantly improve fuel consumption. I put the Prius Prime in the same group because it also starts the engine in certain driving conditions. These cars have some sort of mechanical driveline to the wheels in addition to the electric motor.
    • BMW i3-REx - there is no mechanical connection between the ICE and the wheels. The ICE only drives a generator to sustain the battery SOC. The Volt may marginally belong to this group but I only know what I read about the Volt.
    Bob Wilson

4. Crota

Crota Member

Interesting. Some how it feels different if i say i have plug in hybrid vs saying i have an bev with a range extender. Marketing i guess.

5. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

No.

Plug in hybrid means electric drive and mechanical drive.

BEV is electric drive only.

They both charge the battery via plug or by having the gas engine generate electricity. But yes similar enough that they can be grouped together.