Question about Tint & rock-chip protection on the Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by kkiran, Apr 4, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. kkiran

kkiran Member

Just wondering if any one got their Clarity tinted all around - windshield strip and the tiny trunk glass. Since a camera is mounted on the windshield, I want to make sure tint strip is still OK.

All my cars - Honda, Toyota, Tesla had rock chips within few months of ownership. Not sure if a screen guard like phones is a good idea. Suggestions please.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

It’s the first thing I did. Got a high quality(=expensive) film from Wincos with a life time guarantee. All films will block out 99% of UV rays but the ceramic ones will also block out most of the IR and significantly reduce the heat build up thus reducing a/c use and non-motive battery drain. Made a big difference for me.
    I also had the entire windshield “tinted” with a practically clear film for the same reason. Lots of glass area there and it’s rather horizontal so it passes a lot of solar heat onto the dash. This did not affect the Honda Sensing at all because the camera is attached to the glass and no tint comes between it and the road. So there is really no way to block the Honda Sense from the inside. You can do the strip thing or the whole windshield with no worries. The full windshield film cost me $100 at my local shop that tints for my dealer.

As always check your local/state laws on what’s permissible. I am allowed no less than 30% VLT on front side windows so I went with that on all 4 sides (plus little triangular ones) so they would match and a darker 20% VLT on the rear window. Windshield is a 70% VLT (clearest available) but appears virtually clear and does not affect visibility/night driving. I was the first Clarity they had ever tinted but their computer had the update for cutting the film to the Clarity’s dimensions so it went well.

There is a post on after market front bumper appliqués that may be helpful. FWIW, I’m using a spray on/peel off product since it was cheaper than the appliqués. Time will tell if that holds up.
    Here is the link:

https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/how-will-you-protect-your-bumper.949/

kkiran likes this.
  4. kkiran

kkiran Member

I am at the tint shop right now. Looks like the windshield film hazes due to wipers (wipers are used frequently in Oregon!). That is what the installer told. Oregon has a 35% legal limit so cannot go lower. I am not that handy when it comes to cars. Still evaluating if I should get the clear bra. My Tesla did not have it and it was spotless when I sold it. Hoping the same goes with the Clarity! I plan on keeping this for 3 years followed by a bigger battery Honda or Tesla.

5. Atul Thakkar

Atul Thakkar Active Member

Friend of mine gets delivery of Clarity this Saturday and he got window tinting done at Honda Canada dealership at around $ 400 cost.
    Is the chip protection does not go on top of hood ? any idea how much it cost ?

6. descolado

descolado Member

I got mine tinted in Florida (its something of a necessity here). Was informed by the shop they can't tint over the plexiglass of the trunk due peekaboo window (not sure what else to call it) due the tint adhesive not bonding to it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. kkiran

kkiran Member

I just paid $195. 35%. $400 is pushing it but I’m not an expert! They left the peakaboo window alone. Still not sure how to use that window. I’m 6’1 and I don’t even see it unless I really try.

9. KentuckyKen

I don’t understand the wiper hazing problem. The tint goes in the inside of the windshield and cannot affect or be affected by the wipers. It has absolutely no effect with wiper operation and visibility on my Clarity.

10. kkiran

kkiran Member

True, not sure what the installer was referring to. On YouTube, I saw them installing on the outside of the windshield though.

11. KentuckyKen

All 4 local shops I got quotes from install tint film on inside of glass. Never heard of an outside glass film. From a durability standpoint it sounds like a terrible idea.

kkiran likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. kkiran

kkiran Member

Wait, rock chip protection is film on the outside. Regular tint is from the inside. So looks like there is no market to protect windshield from rock chips.

14. Lucien Mcleod

Lucien Mcleod Member

I went with the 35% up front and the back 25% tint on Modern Steel. Result is excellence. Laid back behind tint so I can get some Clarity.

Attached Files:

15. kkiran

kkiran Member

Looks good! I had to settle with 35% since 25% is illegal in Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Lucien Mcleod likes this.
  16. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

They do have film that protect the windshield from chips on the outside. I looked into it a few years back. Never had the gut to do it as it was expensive and I don't know how it will affect vision.

17. KentuckyKen

Since my auto ins replaces windshield with no deductible if it is ever damaged where you look through it, I have never worried about protecting it. I am planning on getting the precut clear panels for bumper and lights that Megrayhair was kind enough to provide a link to. Would like to do full hood but that’s wayyyy to expensive (600+). Since I’ve never done this before, I’ll probably buy their ins so I can have a do-over if I mess it up.

18. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

@KentuckyKen
    There are lots of sellers on ebay that sell bulk films. You can buy a 6" or 12" x whatever feet protective film for a few dollar a foot. You can get that and practice with it. you can use that do do the rear bumper or the backside of the side mirror, or someplace. I think it is worth the few bucks to practice on instead of the more expensive pre-cut pieces.

I bought a 6"x48" piece and will use that to do the headlights when it gets warmer outside.

19. alyssai

alyssai Member

I got 30% Llumar Pinnacle on all sides and rear and would like to do the windshield as well. The ceramic options available in the same shop are:

80% Llumar Air Blue
    70% Llumar Stratos (too pricey for what I am willing to pay)
    50% Llumar Pinnacle (lightest tint in the Pinnacle series)

My concern with the Air Blue is the slightly blue tint. I want the tint colors to match but I'm also worried that I will get pulled over with the 50%. Anyone have thoughts and suggestions? If there is another brand that can perform as good and will match the tint color as my side windows, I am open to hear. Anybody else have 50% on their windshield and can share photos?

20. alyssai

alyssai Member

Should I not be so worried about 50 being too dark?

21. bfd

bfd Active Member

Depends on how good your night vision is. I'd say that 50% on my front windshield would not work for me at all at night. You don't have to be old to start losing visual acuity at night because of this, either. From a safety standpoint - as well as a legal one, should you be involved in an accident (even one that's not your fault) - it's probably not a great idea.