Question about size and visibility

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Robin Mitchell-Boyask, Jan 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I'd become very interested in the Clarity PHEV until I realized that it's a full foot longer than my current car, a Prius V; I hadn't been planning on going that large, but I'm not seeing a PHEV that's actually obtainable in PA, where I live, and has more than a 25 mile range. Compounding the size issue is that I read in Consumer Reports that some drivers have difficulty ascertaining where the front of the car ends, which is a problem with the Prius V.

I'd be interested in hearing whether anyone in the real world has this problem. I'm grateful for any feedback.

I was hoping the Clarity could serve until the BEV market matures with cars (not SUVs) with solid-state batteries.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

The Clarity felt large when we first brought it home. Our previous car was a Prius. We park in a garage with a second car next to it. It didn't take long to get used to it, perhaps a week or so.

I don't notice any visibility issues. When we park in the garage we drive up to a tennis ball hanging on a string. When the windshield touches the ball we are far enough into the garage.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  4. It will take some time to become familiar with any new vehicle. Some folks drive into parked cars, garage walls or curb their wheels, so the size of the vehicle is probably unimportant for those predisposed to such behavior.

Overall, visibility is good. I don’t use the backup camera or side view camera. Just mirrors or a head turn.

Options are limited for a PHEV with more than 25 miles of range. At least that simplifies the decision making process.

5. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

I don’t think the Clarity is different than pretty much any other car in terms of getting the “feel” of the car (where the front of the car ends or any other determination of its presence). After driving it for a couple weeks I was able to get the feel.

6. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Joining other comments here that it’s not an issue. It’s just a different car like any car is different. Doesn’t seem long when driving or parking.

The length gives it a smooth and stable ride, which I like.

I upgraded from a compact. Adjust to this car was pretty seamless.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Moving up from a 2-seat Insight hybrid, I had more trouble adjusting to the Clarity's width than its length. I filed, sanded, and painted the right-side rims so they don't look so bad now.

fotomoto likes this.
  9. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

If you want to look at a comparable PHEV that is smaller, the Chevy Volt may be worth taking a peek at. It was discontinued in 2019, but used models are generally more plentiful than the Clarity thanks to its age. It was actually the size of the Volt that turned me towards the Clarity; it is not that the Volt is too small, in fact externally it's comparable to a new Civic. However it does not come close to the level of interior comfort that the Clarity offers. Most notably, the rear seats are spacious in the Clarity whereas they are cramped and divided in the Volt. I also found the front row seats to be more comfortable and supportive than the Volt's.

Generally, the size of the Clarity has not been an issue. Remember, it is only as long as the newest Toyota Camry. The length of the nose has not been too much of a problem thanks in part to the ground clearance allowing it to rest just above parking curbs. Personally, I do not find any issues with feeling for the front of the car when parking and my mother has commented likewise when driving the Clarity. I concur with @insightman that the wideness can take getting used to. In fact it is a full 4" wider than your Prius V--enough to accidentally curb rash if you are not careful, for sure. I think that the Volt would make a better city car due to its smaller dimensions, but since I live in the suburbs I do not mind.

The Clarity handles visibility much better than the Volt. The A pillars are much thinner and feature a small glass pane to extend visibility past the mirrors, the trunk pass-through is useful when reversing close to another vehicle and looks just fine in my rearview mirror. The Clarity also sports another small window behind the C pillar to enable that extra amount of visibility that the Volt lacks by comparison.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope this helps your decision-making process.

Cheers

Pegsie, turtleturtle and insightman like this.
  10. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

A caution on the Volt. Some of them have adaptive cruise control while others do not. This was a big deal for me.

11. Paddy

Paddy Member

Owning it for over two years, I do still have the problem of not knowing where the front of the car ends. That’s only in parking. Driving it is not a problem at all. That’s the reason I usually back in when it’s possible.
    I guess it’s a sedan problem, not just In Clarity. It would be the same if I drive a Camry. Maybe I just never bother to practice enough to get the muscle memory. It doesn’t bother me that much.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. TomL

TomL Active Member

I switched from multiple Honda Civics and Accord and my wife and I had no problems adjusting. If you go with the Clarity, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Best car we've had in 50 years of car ownership including several hybrids.

insightman likes this.
  14. Dislin

Dislin Member

In my opinion, the sight lines and maneuverability is very good in this car. I moved to this from a compact car that also had great visibility. The back-up camera is also more useful than expected for backing out (just please don't stare at it if there might be other people or cars around).

It does take maybe a week to fully be comfortable of your new cockpit and to figure out exactly how to park, but that's generally also true for any car.

So overall, from my experience, I wouldn't worry about this.

And yeah, this car is one of the best values currently in the U.S. auto market, and is basically a fantastic stop-gap until more comprehensive EV adoption, like you said.

MrFixit and insightman like this.
  15. ralfalfa

ralfalfa Member

It's true for me as well that I can't really see where the front of the car ends- usually I don't care much but at work if decide to use their charger, it's on a solid concrete wall and in a short space marked "small cars only" . Honestly, I have to train myself to go a little further than I'm comfortable.
    That said, it's better than some I've had- I had a Honda Odyssey where the hood followed my sightline out the windscreen EXACTLY so I had no idea where the front was.
    I've found the visibility out the back of the Clarity quite good. The window panel in the trunk lid below the spoiler deck is key- but you need to keep it clean. Note the Clarity does not have a rear window wiper, presumeably for aerodynamic reasons. I've missed that less than I expected (the rear window stays pretty clear while driving, because aerodynamics.....) but I do miss it when I park outside. That rear window has a low enough slope to gather significant snow and rain.
    I hope that visibility isn't enough to turn you off the Clarity though. Of course it's got its ideosyncracies; you can browse this site to see a lot of emotional discussion about whether they are "features" or "flaws". But that's every car, period. I'm an older, cheap, practical guy, and of dozen or so vehicles my family has owned, from a 2020 Outback to a 1972 Jeep Wagoneer, this is the one that I enjoy the most. Enough power to feel quick, enough comfort for the commute or the road trip, good in the snow and in spite of 5000 miles driven, I've been to the gas station only 3 times in the last 12 months.
    And if rear visibility is "IT" for you, buy a Subaru Outback. Pretty much the best rear visibility in my experience.

16. I've found that in parking garages when pulling up to concrete walls, you can use the reflection of the LED running lights to gauge your distance to the wall. Give it a try. Back before COVID when I used to drive to work and park in parking garage every day, I could consistently get the car within two or three inches of the wall by referencing the beam of the daytime running lights.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Vic and Remarksman like this.