Question about maintenance

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by patash, Oct 14, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. patash

patash New Member

So we have had our mini SE for a year now. When we bought it we were told that we'd need to bring it in each year for a simple maintenance and that the first three years those maintenance appointments would be free. Well, when we turned a year, sure enough a notice came on when starting the car that said "maintenance due". So we called the dealer and made an appointment -- we discussed that it was a year and that although it was electric there was very little to do but we should bring it in. Today was the day. We arrived for our appointment (47 miles round trip, by the way) and when the guy checked he said "well, you only have a little over 3000 miles there's nothing we can do for you. When I said, "why didn't the guy say that when I called and made the appointment?" "Maybe he thought it was a gas model?" "Umm, I clearly said SE, does he not know that's electric? And even if he didn't when I asked 'what do you need to do to an electric car?' that should have told him." The guy today told us "you don't need to bring it in for another year, or 10,000 miles if that comes first. No one ever told us that. We returned home, but seems they could have at least said "while you're here, let us wash it for you" or "we'll at least fill your windshield washers". Or at the very least they should have apologized for the entire misunderstanding and the fact we made the trip for nothing.
    So am I wrong? Have any of you had any maintenance on a one year old -- even with less than 10,000 miles?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. endquote

endquote Active Member

All the info I got, including the message on the center console, says two years. I need to go in a month or so.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My local (30-miles away) dealer tried to get me in to do an oil change on my SE. When I complained, they told me it's the scheduling service they use that had the wrong info and I should ignore messages from the scheduling service because they don't listen to the dealers they represent.

5. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

The day I picked up my SE, the service manager said 'see you in two years". Two years go by, and I get an email, a text, and an app message about scheduling my first service. The service was exactly what I'd been told, including a video of the inspection. I love my dealer - I've been with them since they opened the door.

SameGuy and Puppethead like this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. patash

patash New Member

Interesting, because on October 1 we started getting the console message that service was due -- I think the actual wording was "Service due in October". The car was delivered mid October of 2022.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    That's odd. Every time I switch mine on it tells me August, 2024, which is two years after delivery. Yours was probably set wrong after the PDI.

9. patash

patash New Member

You are right. I talked with my sales person today. She admits that she thought it was every year for service and she's the one who set it for the service reminder. Ours was perhaps the first SE she sold. Now it seems funny that they make such a big deal about "all maintenance for three years" is free. That means ONE service call at the two year mark.

10. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Yup, ABS flush, cabin air filter, lube a few hinges, an "inspection," and if you have a good dealership, mayyyybe new wiper blades.

insightman likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Had my 2 year yesterday, was quick enough, mostly unremarkable. 5/32 tread depth on my factory summer set after ~4,000mi seems low? 10mm front brakes, 8mm rear. ~5,500mi total.

I also need the 3G/4G and 12v battery recalls done. Since I replaced my factory amp with aftermarket they could not/would not do the recalls. So if you’ve done anything like that you need to be completely back to factory to get unrelated software updates done. They were nice enough about it, but didn’t want to do it even before they knew about the amp. They also want to keep it all day, likely over night… for a software update. Every time I see them it’s shockingly slow but the only dealer for 250mi.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
    SameGuy likes this.