Prius Prime to RAV4 Prime ???

Discussion in 'Rav4 Prime' started by Jim In Tucson, Jan 11, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Has anyone done this? Advisable? Not?

We’ve never owned an SUV: always owned small cars. So we are questioning the transition from small car to small SUV. Almost all of our driving is urban, with occasional road trips.

We love the Prius Prime, but want something a bit more accommodating for road trips w/o compromising in town maneuverability.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jim In Tucson

Despite the lack of enthusiasm on this forum, we have decided to move forward on acquiring a RAV4 Prime XSE. So, my only complaint thus far is that there is no black wheel option.

With all of the black trim and roof on the RAV, it simply begs for black wheels. I’m looking for suggestions for some black wheels that are preferably as light as possible and still safe.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I thought you were asking a hypothetical question about switching to a RAV4 Prime because no one I know has been able to buy one. Congrats on finding one--I hope the dealer didn't lard on a giant "market adjustment."

Here's a Reddit thread started by someone with your dislike for the non-black RAV4 Prime wheels, who is thinking of using Plastidip to blacken his RAV4 XSE wheels. One poster in that thread links to this RAV4 World thread -- perhaps you could get your wheels powder-coated black.

5. Jim In Tucson

Good suggestions. I’m not too keen on Plastidip, but I’ll look into powder coating the factory wheels. I presume the tires have to be removed in order to powder coat?

I was originally thinking about buying new wheels and tires. Thereby having the brand new ‘take off’ set to resell. I’d also like to “upgrade” to run flat tires at the same time.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If there are other suitable wheels you think look better, then selling yours makes sense--even more sense if you want different tires, too.

MINI puts run-flat tires on all their cars EXCEPT for the electric MINI Cooper SE, which offers a paltry 114-mile range (but the small battery makes my SE the lightest-weight, best-handling EV). MINI Cooper SE owners who have replaced their OEM summer performance tires with run-flats have experienced a reduction in range, as well as a harsher ride. However, those problems for a MINI Electric may not have the same effect on a RAV4 Prime. In November, MINI stated they will not be putting run-flat tires on any future models.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jim In Tucson

I put run flat tires on my SE not long after the purchase. I noticed a small reduction of range. In any case, it’s worth the peace of mind. I had a GOM of 103 this morning, which was one of our coldest mornings recently at 35F.

insightman likes this.