Prices to Aim For Right Now?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by DavidXC, Mar 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DavidXC

DavidXC New Member

Hi all,

I'm strongly considering a Clarity in SoCal. At first I was thinking used, but with the incentives right now it seems like I might as well go new.

Costco Auto site indicates that dealers are getting Honda incentives: $7500 for 2020 and $5000 for 2021. Along with that, there's a $3k lease incentive for the 2021 and a 0.9%APR financing offer on 2021.

There's a good number of 2020 Tourings in my area. Based on this thread I've been aiming for ~$27k, ~$30k or less out the door. But the few dealers that have replied to me for a 2020 touring seem to think I'm lowballing so hard it's insulting, and they refuse to remove their aftermarket and maintenance charges.

One of the straightest shooting dealers I've ever come in contact with quoted me for a base 2021: ~$27k, ~29.5k out the door.

Altogether, I'm confused about what constitutes a good deal nowadays. Can any of you help me out? Am I being realistic in my 2020 pricing for SoCal? Is the Base 2021 offer good?

Excited about the car. Dreading this whole purchasing experience.

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Try Elk Grove Honda. They were easy to deal with. Yes its a bit of a drive. We drove down from Redding to get ours.

DavidXC likes this.
  4. That’s right at your target price. If you’re able to utilize the full Fed credit, the net cost is in the low $20K’s. Not sure what dealers are doing as far as face to face meetings these days, but there could be some more wiggle room in your favor once you’re in the showroom. Lower is better, but don’t let a good deal slip away over $500-1000.

DavidXC likes this.
  5. DavidXC

DavidXC New Member

That was my target price for a 2020 Touring. If I can get the leather seats and other features for the same price in a 2020, I figured I should aim for that. I haven't been able to find any notable differences between the 2020 and 2021.

But you're right. I've been considering just settling for the base 21 offer.

6. Victor Palazuelos

Victor Palazuelos New Member

I bought a 2020 Clarity Touring at Norm Reeves Honda Costa Mesa on 10/10/20. $30,500 OTD, ask for Hazem.

DavidXC likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DavidXC

DavidXC New Member

I looked up Norm Reeves because of another thread here and it seems like they're out of 2020's (except for one, which I've reached out for). Looking again now, but I think you guys snagged all the killer deals!

9. Victor Palazuelos

Victor Palazuelos New Member

David, the dealer I bought from was Autonation in Costa Mesa, the salesman was Hazem. Norm Reeves Honda Superstore in Huntington Beach had the same price. Alex Vasquez at Norm Reeves. Give them your number and don't budge.

DavidXC likes this.
  10. Sit in both before deciding. The touring seats are not only leather, they are adjustable in ways that the base model seats are not. If a 2020 touring were available at or near the same price as a 2021 base, I’d opt for the 2020.

11. ab13

ab13 Active Member

DavidXC likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. DavidXC

DavidXC New Member

Yeah, I've noticed the ones participating there are significantly more willing.

I've had to put the search on pause for a while because life decided to get in the way, but I did find one dealer got really close to my 2020 price. Hope it's still there by the time I can un-pause.

Otherwise, I might be forced to look into 2021's. The financing deal out right now will lessen that blow a little, but still. In that case, I might try and get someone down to $8k off MSRP + TTL. Anyone have a sense if that's fair? On the fence about touring in that scenario.

14. DanGest

DanGest Member

Wait for 25Kish for base, 27K for touring....it has happened the past couple years (maybe up to 26K for base and 28K for touring).....with full electrics picking up steam, Tesla's sorta getting cheaper and the possibility of the full fed rebate coming back on the tesla...I would not rush in, this is coming from some1 who owns 2 clarity's and loves them......I would still go full electric if it was in the same ballpark. There is also a way to lease the bolt for 3 yrs for 4.6K (link below), that should hold you until the full electrics get cheaper to own. I would not be paying 30K for the Honda (touring) at this point.
    https://slickdeals.net/f/14894620-2021-chevy-bolt-for-4600-one-pay-in-california-4600?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

DavidXC likes this.
  15. DavidXC

DavidXC New Member

You’re saying 27k for touring out the door? I’ve been able to negotiate the sticker price around there but with TTL it hits 30k OTD.

16. Buy the freaking thing. It’s 10 grand off MSRP and then there’s the $7500 Fed credit.

I’m a tightwad myself, but do you honestly expect someone to give you the damned thing as a door prize?

Robert_Alabama and DavidXC like this.
  17. DanGest

DanGest Member

I'm saying pre TTL if that makes sense, anything over 27K....and I would completely argue you are better off getting the the bolt at 4.6K for 3 years
    that is basically 1.5K a year
    the 27K touring is 30K out the door (+ttl) and after rebates around 21K. You would have to own it for 21K/4.6K*3 around 14 years to have the price/year ownership cost and you get the bolt for the best (first 3 years). In that time the price of electric cars is sure to drop...where do you disagree?

18. DavidXC

DavidXC New Member

yeah I was already set to go in this weekend. I figured the price was solid. Thanks for the push!

For the record, I’m actually coming from a Bolt. I loved it. Didn’t love GM. Range was nice, as was going all electric, but I don’t use all the range nearly as much I thought I would. The longer trips ended up maxing out the range at highway speeds (even at 5 below the limit) and the fast charge speeds held me up. Seats gave me major back pain (read: crippled for several days) after long drives and there just wasn’t all that many long-drive-friendly features for the price point. COVID messed with my living and work situation enough that I reevaluated if I needed all electric all the time.

I found the Clarity after looking for Volts. Seemed like a godsend since I was under the impression GM was the only one offering anything with range that allowed for mostly-EV. Also ACC and the lux interior.

TBH, I still like the Volt better (looks+size+hatch) overall. But it’s by GM, and it’s out of production. Either of those would have been a deterrent. But both put together are enough to scratch it off my list. Never mind that the Clarity is priced so damned well.

So I’m heavily leaning towards making the long drive out to get the Clarity at this admittedly solid price. Happy to post the details once it’s all said and done.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    Sloanhoo and insightman like this.
  19. You’re making an apples to oranges comparison, on 2 levels. Buy v lease and Clarity v Bolt.

You won’t know the annual cost of ownership for the Clarity until the day it is sold.

Do you really want to torture yourself in a Bolt for 3 more years?

20. rockster5

rockster5 New Member

FWIW I found the bolt's seats to be very uncomfortable, too narrow, like out of a yugo. But pre-covid I commuted 65 miles each way

21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I read the seats in the new Bolt (shared with the new Bolt EUV) are better.

DavidXC likes this.
  22. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

Clarity is a much more comfortable car overall than Bolt. Besides how many people you know in the flesh that actually pay $4.6k for Bolt? Once you add the premier trim and a couple of options you are back to $200ish, and that is for 10kk miles a year.

Sloanhoo and DavidXC like this.
  23. DavidXC

DavidXC New Member

Update: I'm officially part of the club.

Ended up getting 31k OTD on a Silver 2021 Touring. I ended up getting up down to 29k for a 2020 Touring, but the dealer took back the offer (!!!) and a local dealership ended up setting me up with the offer I went with. The financing offer was a nice little incentive.

Thanks for all the input, everyone! The car feels so lux relative to the Bolt. The way I heard someone else put the Bolt: It's a $10,000 car on a $20,000 battery. I loved the thing, and I'll miss it, but it really feels like I'm driving a nice Acura (or similar) like in this.

Sloanhoo, sabasc and awerter like this.