Price parity was $124 kwh what does $75 kwh in late 2019 mean

Discussion in 'General' started by 101101, Nov 24, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Now at the pack level or cell level (not sure) DOE said in 2011 (if memory serves) that electric vehicle price parity would come at $124 a kwh. I think Tesla announced it was below that almost a year ago.

Now it seems Tesla is saying it will be at 75 kwh by late 2019. What does that mean for its margins and petrol prospects.

As an added twist I belive this implies also double the range, substantially lower weight and space requirements maybe 40% and charging times in the range of gassing times. Also cheaper even safer packs that require less thermal hardware and get rid of fire risk.

So what does a 40% reduction in battery cost below price parity along with performance changes that eliminate every difference in late 2019 mean?

This would be 2-3 years sooner than Toyota and about a decade faster than Bloomberg new energy estimates. By the Bloomberg's timeline it would be like Apple introducing the iPhone X in 2007.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I think it means career prospects for engine designers are not good.

Bob Wilson

101101 likes this.
  4. Andrés Loriente

Andrés Loriente New Member

Probablemente... electric car will depend from power batteries un next 4 years. But, total cost will be affected by construction material and metals motor parts. Another topic is electricity cost. If Cars becomes electric, electricity cost will ingresar. PV power source will be the competitive variable oficina complete sistem

101101 likes this.
  5. Feed The Trees

Feed The Trees Active Member

I bet it doesn't matter to most people. Range and initial cost would be my guess as top considerations. Then things like brand, looks, confort, features, infotainment, etc. TCO is down the list I suspect.

6. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Well $75 kwh solid state may more than solve cost, range, charge rate. And help with performance and looks.

7. To remove this ad click here.