Price fluctuations with Clarity different than ICE cars?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Ordell98, May 10, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ordell98

Ordell98 New Member

Hi all,
    I'd like to purchase a Clarity ASAP, but I realize too that usually fall is the better time to buy a new vehicle. Are there are any diferences in the seasonal pricing changes/market rhythms of car prices that are specific to the Clarity (or I guess PHEV/BEVs in general)?

My dad always said "Buy a car in fall, that's when the new models come and the old ones go out so you can get a good deal on the outgoing models." But maybe that's different with something like the Clarity?

Any advice, or even random pearls of wisdom, would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tacoma Soccer Dad

Tacoma Soccer Dad New Member

The federal tax credit has a significant influence on the price you will pay. I think it is only guaranteed through 2018. If you wait until late fall, you may compete will a lot of buyers trying to make their purchase by the end of 2018. That would be my only concern about waiting until late 2018.

4. bfd

bfd Active Member

No one really knows yet. If the car continues to sell a thousand a month or so, then the pricing won't likely change much. If sales hit a wall, then you might see some change. I'm going to guess that 2019 Clarity will not have any major improvements, so there won't likely be a huge discount on 2018s come the new model year. If you need a new car now, buy it now. If you can wait until the end of the year, you might get lucky and save a few thousand dollars - which would be nothing to sneeze at.

I'd find it hard to believe that after all the noise last year that they'd mess with the Federal tax credits, so while some might be concerned (like we were in December), I don't think it's going away any time soon.

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

No one can predict what will happen w the Fed tax credit but you know the old saying, a bird in the hand....
    Also, you can bet when Tesla reaches the 200,000 mark (expected this year) and loses the credit that they will be lobbying hot and heavy to either extend it or do away with it altogether. That could go either way.

6. ab13

ab13 Active Member

Because it's a hybrid, it won't sell in some locations where people don't buy hybrid, so you might be able to get a better deal. If gas prices keep going up then it may become more popular. In places with large inventory people are striking good deals. You can use a tool like truecar to see what is going on with prices.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

With Israel and Iran now openly exchanging missile fire, the always-volatile Middle East is getting dramatically more "interesting". We could be seeing higher oil prices in the coming year, which would boost demand for PHEVs, giving dealers no incentive to discount them.

I think this is a great time to buy, before the general public discovers this excellent car.

Johnhaydev likes this.