Prepping (and personalizing) my winter wheels

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SameGuy, Oct 24, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Not long after ordering my SE in mid-March — still in the tail end of winter up here, and just a couple of days after Quebec drivers are allowed to switch back to non-winter tires — I set about looking for a set of rims for the next winter. I mean, it was just seven months away, and I honestly didn’t even know if I’d have my car by then!

I found a nice-looking set of wheels with run-flat Pirellis on Kijiji (what used to be eBay Classifieds), called the seller, agreed on a really good price, and ran to get them. I found out on this forum they are 495 Victory Spokes, and while they were quite dirty, they looked to be in pretty good nick.

AD5AFB84-585B-45A9-8A4F-92C1ED78220D.jpeg
    As they appeared in the ad.

I put them in the shed and didn’t think about them until after I took delivery of my car in August, and set about arranging for new winter tires. I trotted out the new-to-me wheels and gave them a quick wash to bring to my tire guy. I found a bit of curb rash on three of them, and two were very heavily caked with baked-on metallic brake dust.

01B2DF74-F4D8-4B58-B02E-792FCAF23B5B.jpeg 48E719A6-1420-4A01-A219-6ED0B12FA005.jpeg 5A042DA8-BCB2-4CB7-9B3B-67BF38C77B00.jpeg 73F4BFA6-62DA-4F99-B28A-9EB2A3344B88.jpeg

Tires mounted, I then ordered four SE-specific center caps from Seattle MINI — not the Power Spoke bolt covers — and started planning how I’d repair or hide the minor blemishes on the wheels. I started gathering supplies and tools.

To be continued…

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    GvilleGuy and polyphonic like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

YUL
    Fast forward to this week. Tools and supplies at hand, a bit of time off work, and the return of spring-like weather all gave me an opportunity to get my winter wheels ready. I rolled them back out of the shed, and rolled up my sleeves.

First things first, pop out the original MINI caps.

Plan of attack: clean the faces, clean the barrels, give 'em a bit of a polish (without going nuts, these are winter rims after all), scrub the tires, then touch up the blemishes.

I sprayed the faces with one of the best non-acid wheel cleaners you can buy, Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus, and after the recommended dwell, agitated with a soft but effective Chemical Guys Wheelie brush.

AD7B0D4B-EF4E-4522-9C2A-B8503A8819B9.jpeg AACE0D4E-8DEA-40DF-9A41-BFC8176C0427.jpeg 673CEFD5-EF22-4E54-B7D0-7116A5F36708.jpeg

Next, I sprayed the brake cake inside the barrels and went to town with my dedicated wheel and tire scrubber: a Harbor Freight “Chicago Electric” D/A with a 4” aquamarine Cyclo brush. Much like CarPro Iron-X, the Sonax cleaner turns purple as it attacks and neutralizes ferric and ferrous oxides, along with other fallout compounds.

95864D42-1E79-4F6B-90F7-5DF3620012CD.jpeg 88B5C5AC-9C0A-4FB7-816B-5EC549349F41.jpeg

A quick rinse with the pressure washer, then on to the tires. As they were new, this would be quick. A key to getting a tire coating to work well and last a long time is to make sure that all dirt and oils are eliminated. “Dressings” — virtually all of which contain some combination of silicones and surfactants — tend to last a week or two, and make a tire look even uglier as they degrade and attract dirt, while coatings are just that: they cost the tire to repel dirt, and a good coating can last a whole season when properly applied. New tires like mine only have a minor amount of handling dirt, and whatever mould-release compound the factory use.

For when I was doing production detailing I liked using Meguiar’s D143 Non-Acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner, because it’s cheap and effective. But on my own cars or for people who wanted me to go extra, I trust Tuf-Shine Tire Cleaner (along with the Sonax wheel cleaner mentioned above). Spray it on, let it dwell a minute, then scrub with a brush (the same Cyclo as above, after a thorough cleaning).

7B64EA61-876A-4AC7-9613-4EE686EFF88B.jpeg

I wiped off the water droplets with a good microfibre, then set the wheels aside to dry overnight before doing the touch-ups.

To be continued…

h-dogg, polyphonic and MichaelC like this.
  4. SameGuy

YUL
    I decided the wheels could use a bit of a polishing, but I didn’t want to spend too long on it, knowing they’ll get punished with salt and grit and ice all season. Instead of painstakingly hand-polishing the spokes, I gave each wheel a superficial once-over with a Lake Country Hybrid orange pad and a Menzerna polish (I forget which) on my Griot’s 3” D/A. I’d really like to upgrade to a Flex PXE-80 or Rupes iBrid for jobs like this, but I haven’t seriously detailed for money in a couple of years, so that’s a bit out of reach. The Griot’s is out if its comfort zone on tight curves like these spokes, but I’m satisfied with the overall cleanup.

5472673E-232E-4A6D-8485-B2C2B6E5F8CF.jpeg

To prevent oxidation and lifting the surrounding powder coat, it’s a good idea to use a self-etching primer on bare metal blemishes. It also does a bit of filling, and helps paint bond with the powder coat better. I went with a spray can of Rustoleum Automotive Self-Etching Primer (sprayed into the cap), and decided to use a larger touch-up brush, in spite of the blobby results, because I have a plan to hide most of the curb rash.

BE6A4087-0180-4918-BD68-FCEAB957C206.jpeg C260237F-BEFD-4D09-8A30-6CDD6F4FD5A1.jpeg

I topped the primer with BMW Midnight Black Metallic from ScratchesHappen, and let it dry before applying the supplied clear coat. I set the wheels aside for the night to let the paint cure.

242C08F8-4F25-4328-91CC-3D4E0B3DEC86.jpeg

To be continued…

polyphonic and MichaelC like this.
  5. SameGuy

YUL
    Let’s pop in the SE center caps!

E6914FB3-3B72-4F34-96BB-6E70BF26B76F.jpeg

Ooh looks good. But I’d like the wheels to stand out a bit more. Hmmm…

I thought about some sort of protector like RimBlades or AlloyGators, but could not justify the expense, and was a bit concerned that I wouldn’t find the their yellows to match with ours after spending all that money. Instead, I chose to go with a pinstripe. I found that Oracal 651 “Brimstone Yellow” vinyl is a very close match to our Energetic Yellow trim, and ordered a roll of ¼” striping tape. I have a cool striping tool for wheels, which makes quick work of it. Enjoy this quick, raw video I took today.

Last but not least, I finished by coating the tires with Tuf-Shine Tire Clearcoat. It is by far the best tire coating product I’ve used, and gives amazing results —customizable from subtle satin sheen to full gloss — that last months, not weeks.

47FF2507-657C-4878-BB88-9230C578E292.jpeg

The final result looks pretty great IMO!

azausa, Dandelius, ghost and 9 others like this.
  6. Love it. Remember, duplication is the highest form of flattery.

SameGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

Nice writeup. It is a shame that you can't include links to amazon (or wherever) that allow you to get a small benefit when folks make purchases based on your recommendations.

9. SameGuy

YUL
    Lol yeah, I thought about it, but that’s not really for me, and I’m a guest here.

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That was quite the project, with amazing results. It's incredible that you found a nearly perfect vinyl match for the Energetic Yellow.

SameGuy likes this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

IMO, too! Hopefully, you have enough pinstriping tape left to wrap the curb-feelers you'll want to install to be sure those wheels stay this beautiful.

upload_2022-10-24_23-15-53.png

SameGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    Menzerna FG400 (now known as 400 Heavy Cut Compound).

14. SameGuy

YUL
    AB91114B-4928-4E72-8DD7-3A7561348AE2.jpeg

15. Rogwp

Rogwp Active Member Subscriber

Amazing job, well done :) I pick up my used wheels tomorrow, 3 are perfect but, of course, the fourth needs work. I don’t have your skills so I will seek help! Next I have to choose the tires, R5 or WRG4?

SameGuy likes this.
  16. SameGuy

YUL
    Lower Mainland? The “all weather” WR will likely suit your conditions just fine. :)

17. Puppethead

My personal opinion is all-season tires are a compromise, if you're going to have a set of winter wheels you can switch to I'd go with the R5s. Also reports seem to indicate the WRG4 tires are noisy.

Rogwp likes this.
  18. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

He's in the lower mainland with an average of maybe 10 inches of snow during the entire season (almost snow free). It's mostly rain with 40F winters, and an inch of snowfall will just shut down the city.

Rogwp likes this.
  19. Rogwp

How well you know the city :)

20. Rogwp

I think all weather tires would be the sensible decision, but I do worry about the noise.

SameGuy likes this.
  21. Rogwp

It’s the noise that concerns me.

SameGuy likes this.
  22. Puppethead

Based on that I'd probably run on all-seasons year round, except for performance or noise issues. Since noise is a factor, and you're going to swap wheels for winter I don't know if there's any difference between all-season or snow tires for the winter set.

23. Rogwp

The deciding factor may be performance in the rain. We usually get lots and lots and lots….Did I mention rain :(

SameGuy likes this.