Pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by MSimpsonNJ, May 26, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

I have expressed my displeasure with the sound system in the US Limited and am exploring having a pre-amp put in. Has anyone here ever done this and if so, may I pick your brain?

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I've done amp upgrades on older cars with inferior speakers and stereos. Just wondering what you are trying to accomplish? Volume? Sound quality? or rock the earth?

4. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Mostly sound quality. My rock the earth days are behind me. I find the sound system lacking the ability to give me that all-encompassing sound experience that one typically gets when listening to music in the confines of a vehicle. It just doesn't have the oomph. Replacing the head unit is not really an option since it controls so many aspects of the vehicle, and before I upgrade the speakers i figured I would look into whether boosting the power that is driving the existing speakers might do the trick.

5. I would assume the speakers themselves are the problem. I upgraded only the speakers on another car years ago and it made a while world of a difference.

I have the ultimate, so I already have good sound, sorry that I don't have more input.

6. Hi, I can confirm that in the kona, we have some amp in the back. Don't know the power rating and how good it is. But compare from my olf Leaf 2013, kona is good stock. I have Canadian preferred version. BTW, in the leaf, the speaker doesn't has magnet just to tell you how cheap they were.

From my experience on the leaf, I Added ALPINE KTP-445U UNIVERSAL POWER PACK, because the console control everything like most EV today. And add the cheapest speaker. They were, not kidding 5x better than the stock one. Now, the sound was good with a really good punch. Didn't wanted a subwoofer from the bass perspective.

Now after all left door sound insulation on the Kona, the sound is better. Would say 30% better compare to the other doors that didn't do yet.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Thanks for the info. Interestingly, Crutchfield cautions against this.....
    upload_2021-5-28_22-35-0.jpeg

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Hilarious a 64kWh powerhouse pack and it's LDC system can't supply enough juice to run a 180W amp without killing the car. :D

mho likes this.
  10. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

I thought so too

11. I done it with my leaf, that was electric too. Only problem, will be if you listen music in accessories mode. The amplifier will take energy from the 12v battery and not the "big battery". Not a big stopper.

You install bigger 12v battery or you leave the car in park with all other stuff off (ac, light, etc) when listening long session of music. Anyway, listening music without the car on, show you a warning that you are depleating the 12v batterie.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. That's what the Utility Mode or dog mode in the Kona is for. It will supply all electronics from the big drive train battery. No need to worry. And the drive train is shut off, so you can't accidentally push D and drive into a wall or something.