Power electronics / motor info

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GetOffYourGas, May 28, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I can find more information about how things are organized under the hood? I have had some car guys asking questions about it, and I just don't know the answers. For other cars, I have seen tear-downs where they take the entire structure out and walk through the motor, inverter, charger, etc. I just can't seem to find anything like that for the SE.

TIA!

insightman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm hoping the great Professor John D. Kelley of Weber State University (see his WeberAuto videos on YouTube) will get ahold of a MINI Cooper SE. Without someone like him, people like me (someone who has exchanged car engines, changed internal engine parts, etc.) are left pondering a big blob of inscrutable mechanisms (and losing motor-cover grommets due to removing the motor cover too often to look at what's underneath):

upload_2021-5-28_11-50-52.png

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    F14Scott and GetOffYourGas like this.
  4. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  5. insightman

Thanks! I'd pay that in a second if Munroe did the same for the MINI Cooper SE. I may still pay that in a few minutes after wondering what it says about the i3's motor and drivetrain (sadly, by far the smallest of his PDF files). However, the best would be watching Professor Kelley spinning the actual parts as he assembles them on his bench while he spouts gear ratios, bearing sizes, support structures, design tricks, etc.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  6. vader

vader Well-Known Member

polyphonic and insightman like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

9. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member