Posted my first YouTube video about the Mini Cooper SE...

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by AndysComputer, Jan 9, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

... which is a range test naturally, lol!

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

wessy and MichaelC like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

Impressive range. How is the driving experience in Green+ mode?

4. AndysComputer

Not that much different to green, a very delayed throttle response.
    I’d only use both if I was going for distance as obviously it’s a small battery.
    For day to day we just use the default mid as we don’t put more than 20 miles on in an average day.

5. wessy

wessy Active Member

Nice — thanks for sharing this, @AndysComputer! I like the length of your route (77 miles seems doable even in the worst conditions, right?) and the mix of speeds it offers. Will definitely be interesting to see the effect of colder temperatures in your subsequent drives.

A couple of questions:

1) Is the 167 miles of range on a full battery that you calculated at the end based on the actual capacity or the usable capacity?

2) Did you consider selecting a mode other than Green+? I ask because while Green+ is fine for the “perfect” conditions you were driving in for this first video, because it deactivates the HVAC I don’t think it will prove to be a realistic choice for range-test drives at any other temperature — in 90F heat you’ll need to run the AC to be comfortable, and even if you were to tolerate not running the heat pump when it gets cold (although I’d advise against that since it wouldn’t be representative of how a typical owner would actually use their car) I don’t see how you’ll be able to avoid running the AC to keep your windows from fogging on a 77-mile drive in cold weather. Or perhaps you plan to make a run at the same ~72F temperature as your first video but in a different mode? Or maybe just not worry about doing A/B tests in different temperatures using the same mode every time?

MichaelC and AndysComputer like this.
  6. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Great video, Andy. Me thinks we worry too much about range!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Texas22Step, drdunkyn and wessy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

Nice ideal-conditions video for those thinking this little car can't get past the driveway! Of course, I have no intention of taking mine lower than Mid mode, though, as I'll seldom see a >50 mile day in it. I can't wait to put Li'l Brudder through his paces as soon as he lands!

AndysComputer and wessy like this.
  9. AndysComputer

That was part of my theory, even in cold and rainy conditions it should be able to make it no problem.

Usable capacity.
    I’m not sure if that’s what the battery percentage gauge represents, although it would make sense. Having said that, given the car can run a few miles past 0% does that mean 100-0 is less than the usable or does that eat into the buffer beyond the usable?
    I’ve bought an OBD2 adapter and iPhone app to try and answer that.

So my theory was that in ideal conditions the HVAC wouldn’t actually be running because there would be no need. So I could have used Green mode. But to be 100% sure I figured Green+ was the better option as it guaranteed that. I could have used green and simply switched off the HVAC but I wanted the blower on for fresh air.
    When I test in hot weather or sub zero temperatures (the latter of which I did a couple of days ago but need to edit the video)
    I will use Green mode as I will want the aC or the heater as anyone would. If I do the same run and compare battery usage that will tell me what the AC costs and what the heater costs. Obviously they are not mileage related, they’re time related. But on this route, in a pre-conditioned car, at sub freezing temperatures it took 63% of the battery to complete the trip vs 46% the first time. Which amounts to 2.2kWh per hour for hearing for those platings along at home…

MichaelC and drdunkyn like this.
  10. AndysComputer

I meant to say "2.2 kWh per hour for heating in those conditions"
    iPhone auto-(in)correct combined with late night posting is not good for me, lol!

wessy likes this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Here's a YouTube video of a 2021 SE (before MINI went aero) going 177.65 miles. @AndysComputer got pretty close to matching this number. With the 4-mile increase in range MINI claims for the 2022 SE, I expect @AndysComputer will be able to exceed 180 miles.

upload_2022-1-10_10-12-2.png

Don't forget to specify a flatbed tow-truck when making the call to get back home--I believe the SE can be shifted into Neutral after the battery is exhausted so it can be dragged onto the flatbed and/or pushed the final few feet to the EVSE.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. AndysComputer

The A - B part of the test, used 21% of the battery to travel 38.5 miles. That works out to 183 miles of range on the battery.

So over 180 miles is easily possible.

But...

While the A start location is 690 feet above sea level and the B turnaround is 670 feet above sea level so we only get a 20 foot elevation drop benefit which is nothing, the return journey does use more energy as there is a long uphill section at 55(?)mph when I turn south, which was a long downhill at 55mph on the way from A to B. That's why even though on the face of it there's no elevation change between A and B pins, the devil is in the detail so I stick to doing A - B - A for a more realistic number.

If I found the right flat route kept my speed down (no 55-60mph roads for example) and didn't have to stop or slow down for so many red lights I could *easily* do well over 180 miles. But I wasn't going for a record and I didn't want to present a range figure that while seemingly impressive involved 4 hours of driving around at 30mph as, well, who realistically needs to do that? It might be an interesting challenge if I get bored though I suppose so never say never!

On a side note the thumbnail for that video mentions 5.92 mi/kWh but the calculation based on distance and usable battery would be 6.15 mi/kWh so I guess he was going with dashboard figures for the efficiency?

14. AndysComputer

I do have a 2kWh "solar generator" or rather giant-a*s battery with 2KW inverter which I could use to charge the car if I was desperate.
    Not sure it's 60lb of wight in the trunk wouldn't hurt me more than help though, lol!

Might make a fun video though...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  15. ER13

ER13 Member

Great video!

A couple of minor fact check items in the video description -
    "The Mini Cooper SE is an electric car (EV) with the smallest battery and shortest rated range currently on sale in the USA."
    You could argue the MX-30 has a shorter range (100 vs. 114), albeit a larger battery (35.5 vs. 32.6). It's also not sold ALL across the US like the mini, so perhaps a technicality.

"As a consequence it's also the cheapest EV on sale in the USA."
    The Nissan LEAF undercut the MINI in price by reducing MSRP for 2022 model year. The LEAF now starts at $27,400.

As an information science professional, I can cite sources if you need. I thought it better to help here before a YouTube troll does it.

wessy, GvilleGuy and AndysComputer like this.
  16. AndysComputer

Thanks for the heads up on the price change on the Leaf, I didn't notice that when I was ordering the Mini back in August, and should have double checked before writing stuff. I'll adjust the description.

Really appreciate you taking the time to let me know. No worries on the sources, I will change it and then follow up with some research into both just to bring myself up to date. :)

wessy, ER13 and GvilleGuy like this.
  17. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

180 miles would be amazing, considering that a full charge in the SE's battery is equivalent to less than a gallon of gasoline! Your quest for "the right flat route" reminded me of the range record set by the first electrified car in the US: the gen-1 Honda Insight.

Back in 2006, a group drove a gen-1 Honda Insight 2,254.4 miles on a 14-gallon tankful of gas. For this marathon they picked a flat route in Oklahoma and kept their speed to a breathtaking average of 18.5 mph (yes, nearly 122 hours of driving at 18.5 mph). I laugh every time I remember their regret driving up the hill they called "Heartbreak Ridge" as they watched the numbers on their Fuel Consumption Display "bleed away." Take a look at their photos of the challenging "Heartbreak Ridge:"

upload_2022-1-10_22-27-46.png

The furthest I drove one of my gen-1 Insights on a single tankful of gas was 901 miles, but I never put more than 11 gallons of gas into my Insight and I was averaging about 45 mph, not 18.5 mph, during my commutes to work.

MichaelC, GvilleGuy and AndysComputer like this.
  18. AndysComputer

So I re-did my cold weather test as on the first run the GoPro didn't record any GPS signal. So that's 2 hours of my life I won't get back...

I did the cold run at 30 degF (-1 degC) so basically freezing and a cold day here in the south. Yes I know that's summer for you guys up north and you have to fight polar bears to even get to your car, but for me, what you have is extreme cold. I'm just going for "cold" here, lol!

At this temperature the heat pump should be running well and the end results suggest to me that it was and I was very impressed with the amount of range reduction, much better than I had heard anecdotally:

I need to wait for summer to test in "hot" weather which would be upwards of 100 degF or close to 40 degC.

But in the meantime, I'll do the same baseline and cold weather tests on the highway as weather, my schedule and availability of the car allows (ie when my wife isn't using it given it's hers).
    I did do a baseline highway run but for some reason the GoPro GPS thought I was in California and later the Pacific Ocean so that was unusable...

wessy and MichaelC like this.