Possible answer to hard to insert/remove charging handle

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by KentuckyKen, Feb 23, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

View attachment 515 Only has my Clarity for 6 days and just got my ChargePoint.
    I think I have the definitive (hopefully) answer for the folks whose charging handles are hard to insert and remove.
    It’s clear that the o-ring is there to seal out moisture and engages toward the end of the insertion travel. This it is not the reason for any initial/halfway hard to insert/remove problems. Greasing the o-ring gave me a slightly easier end of insertion and beginning of removal effort.
    But here is what really helped:
    I put some dielectric (non-conducting) grease in the holes of the charging handle and car port (first turn off breaker for safety). I did this primarily to protect contacts from corrosion and also to ease insertion/removal effort due to age and old arm injury. And it worked! Much easier that before.
    Think about it. The electrical contact between handle and car must be a tight friction fit to prevent arcing so it makes sense that it is going to require some kind of effort to mate up. Usually it’s not to bad but I have one public charger that is a real bear. Unless your handle is out of spec (SAE J1771) this should make it easier on you and keep you from having to remove the o-ring (think lawyers/insurance claim denial). You can purchase the dielectric grease at auto parts stores and use it on the o-ring as well. Please try this and let us know it it helps more people than just me.

Hope his helps and consider it my thank you for all great info and money saved from this forum.

Kendalf and Rajiv Vaidyanathan like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

For many years I had constant trouble with the electrical connection between my SUV and boat trailer. A few years back I discovered the dielectric and used it on that connector. I don't remember having a single issue with the connection since then. That stuff is like magic.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  4. Everbody

Everbody New Member

I concur. DE grease lubes the plastic parts and keeps moisture and corrosion away from the metal parts. It can trap grit if you're in a windy place. I use it on light bulbs, A, C and D batteries.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

KentuckyKen likes this.
  5. dana

dana Member

ChargePoint 32 Amp Plug In Station installed yesterday. Charging handle is actually easier to insert and remove than the provided Level 1 charger. This is before putting dielectric grease in the holes of charging handle.

6. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Remember to check to make sure whatever grease you are using is compatible with the type of plastic.

Generally, silicone is the most affordable and safe lubricant for plastics (there might be better, but much more expensive lubricants). Petroleum based lubricants can dissolve and or cause plastic to age and brittle. I believe dielectric grease is silicone grease.

The only warning I see is that you should not use dielectric grease for is in areas where there can be arcing, as it can turn to silicone carbide and can shorten the life of the contacts. Is that a potential issue in the J1772 connector?

My understanding of J1772 is to prevent arcing, so it should be safe, but might be worth looking into.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

Dear Viking79, I sincerely believe you are quite incorrect about not recommending dielectric grease because of potential arcing or degradation to plastic. Dielectric means it does not conduct electricity and thus cannot possibly cause arcing under the conditions present in the plug to receptacle interface which cannot exceed the voltage of a level 2 charger which is a mere 240 volts. Dielectric grease is often used in spark plug boots to seal out moisture and prevent arcing (and that’s a very, very high voltage application). Dielectric grease is also silicone based and safe for rubber and plastic. I cite information below from bobistheoilguy.com and cartalk.com and I respectfully challenge you to back up your claim with factual data or retract it. I am open to being proved wrong.
    Here are just some commonly available urls to support my view. There are many more available.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=211251

https://community.cartalk.com/t/misfire-new-wires-arcing/9335

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  9. KentuckyKen

My apologies Viking79, I reread and saw you agree dielectric grease is silicone based so you and I only disagree on the arcing issue.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  10. KentuckyKen

Again I must disagree with you. In all applications on metal to metal electrical contacts the physical pressure pushes the grease out of the way and causes no increase in resistance. This can easily be proven as well. Please back up your claims with facts as I believe your two posts are misleading people.
    Here is my proof, please provide yours:

https://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grease_vs_conductive_grease.htm

11. Viking79

Yep, no worries, I dont think it will be an issue since that connector is designed not to arc, but just curious.

I read that page as well, good info. The mention the arcing concern near the bottom, but not much technical details. There are a bunch of papers on scholar.google.com, but can't see full texts. I think the point is it would be really bad in some switches that arc.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

It will absolutely not be an issue and will in fact add a little insurance against arcing to the connection

14. Viking79

My other post about insulator should have never gone live, I deleted it I thought, I know it doesnt insulate when under pressure.

15. KentuckyKen

No prob. I’ve enjoyed your other posts and I’ve learned a lot and saved a boatload of money form all the accumulated wisdom on this forum.