Portable Level 2 EVSE

Discussion in 'General' started by cmwade77, Jul 30, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I am looking for a portable Level 2 EVSE and all of the information I can find on them seems out of date, as there are now a ton of them on Amazon and other places.

Ideally, I would like one that is:
    • Adjustable between 16 Amps-32 Amps
    • Can plug into a dryer outlet or camp site outlet
    • Perhaps has additional adapters as well
    Does anyone have any recommendations?

AndGuz likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I would recommend a 32 amp EVSE with a 14-50 plug. Adapters are usually separate, but adapters are available or can be built to charge on lower amp outlets, even 110V. Here is a good thread to read about making your own RV adapter. Or you can buy one (for EVs).
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/rv-adapter.6247/page-4
    Post 80 is where I described making my own. But the whole thread is very educational, if you are interested in EVSEs and adapters.

4. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I honestly don't want to make my own and I want it to be able to plug into circuits with 20 AMP breakers, so I am looking for something out of the box, even if it means buying the two separately. Just looking for recommendations on which specific EVSE (and adapters if needed) to buy.

I guess I should also mention that I need it in the U.S., the one I see in that thread is in Canada.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  5. I would start with a 32 or 40 amp Level 2 EVSE with adjustable amps and a Nema 14-50 plug. Nema 14-50 is your typical camp site RV plug.

like this Zencar; it has 5 adjustable amp ratings 10,16, 20, 24, and 32. These correspond to an 80% amp continuous usage rate for the following circuits 15,20,30 and 40 amps

https://smile.amazon.com/Zencar-NEMA14-50-220V-240V-Portable-Compatible/dp/B07W7X3XFM/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?dchild=1&keywords=adjustable+amp+evse+32amp+zen+cae&qid=1596160581&sr=8-2-fkmr3 15,20 30 and 40
    https://smile.amazon.com/Zencar-NEMA14-50-220V-240V-Portable-Compatible/dp/B07W7X3XFM/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?dchild=1&keywords=adjustable+amp+evse+32amp+zen+cae&qid=1596160581&sr=8-2-fkmr3

Then search for EVSE adapter on amazon and pick the adapter for the plugs you intend to use. Dryer outlets are 30 amp and there are 3 (older style) and 4 prong options. Here are 2 examples Dryer plugs will be Nema 14-30 or Nema 10-30

https://smile.amazon.com/Gomadic-Electric-Vehicle-10-30P-Adapter/dp/B07DHT7627/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=nema+14-50+evse+adapter+30+amp&qid=1596159364&sr=8-5
    https://smile.amazon.com/JuiceBox-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Adapter/dp/B01DB44V42/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=nema+14-50+evse+adapter+30+amp&qid=1596159487&sr=8-17

If you need more specific in formation let me know and I will add more detail.

6. If you not familiar with Nema plugs here are diagrams of the most common. You can find this and more information on the Wikipedia website.

Attached Files:

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Ok, what am I missing? I don't see anything on the Zencar saying it is switchable for the amps.

9. Yea it's hard to find. Under product description there are 5 gray background pictures with Blue writing. The first is just a picture of the unit, the second is labeled specification, the third is labeled features and the forth is labeled details. Right below the blue word details is a picture of the dispaly showing currents of 10A/ 16A/ 20A/ 24A/32A. Below the picture is blue solid letters it says 5 current Modes. and its ul listed
    1d57bac8-a051-4d30-8948-0ac26fc8aa43.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

10. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Ok, that's what I get for trying to do this on my phone....lol

Fastnf likes this.
  11. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

So I have to ask, is there a reason to get an EVSE specific adapter or would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Prong-Generator-Adapter/dp/B076ZTZMHM/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=nema+14-50+to+14-30+adapter&qid=1596163883&sprefix=nema+14-50+to+1&sr=8-7

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Bear in mind that you can also adjust your charging current level by the car setting, too, instead of the EVSE. What is important is to get the highest practical amp EVSE, which you can also throttle lower with the car as required to not exceed the breaker load of whatever outlet you are using.

14. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Hmm, how do you change that on a Hyundai Kona? I know the Leaf we traded in couldn't have done that.

15. Ok what you shown is an L14-30 which is different from a 14-30 . The "L" designates a Locking plug generally used in construction so the plug doesn't pull out. it has to be twisted to unlock or lock it from the socket . It is not a dryer plug. which are straight pronged no lock. The different in cost is why people make there own. If you have a freind who is an electrician or electrically capable they could help you make one otherwise your stuck with the higher EV adapter costs

16. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Ok, picked the wrong one, but was wondering if there was something special about the EVSE versions.

17. Not really special. It just that only EVSE use adapter on different plugs, well and maybe welders. I have a few adapters for my welders as well as my EVSE. They just are not need else where and are not that common. There are some RV adapter out there but most don't apply to EV's

18. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Really, I do want to know how to do this in the Kona, as then I could sign backup for the $0.19/minute EA rate and save s tone of money on charging.

19. On the center console click on EV , then click charge management , then click on adjust current. You will then have three option High, medium or Low.

20. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Interesting, any idea what each charge rate is? And does this affect DC Quick Charging?

21. I think it only works wit the AC side. I would check the manual on that one. I believe the lowest setting is about 20 amps I will have to check back on previous threads. I usually just adjust my charger rather than the car. It just depends whats easiest for you.

22. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I was just hoping the DC Fast charger would work, as I could go for the cheaper EA plan rather than the Hyundai specific plan.

23. No that doesn't work or we'd all be doing it