Portable EVSE that comes with the ID.4

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Tony S, Jan 14, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tony S

Tony S Active Member

Does anybody know if it’s only level 1, or both level 1&2. I believe Nissan includes a portable level 1&2 EVSE.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

VW also includes both Level 1 and Level 2 cables.

Tony S likes this.
  4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Until the cars are delivered, we won't know for sure.

The cables question is an ineresting one - in some markets (UK) it is common for cars to come with two cables. One for the portable EVSE, and the second one you use on a level 2. The US market doesn't really need this 2nd cable since level 2 chargers here always have a cable.

5. Tony S

Tony S Active Member

Now we know, L1 only. VW should provide a portable L2 at cost for its ID.4 byuers.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  6. Yes, but I found it great for charging at home, so I could just get a NEMA 14-50 installed rather than a full EVSE (and about 1/3 of the cost). My 2019 Nissan Leaf came with a L1 and L2 cable.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The Mustang Mach e, and Teslas also come with an interchangeable plug so that the EVSE can be operated as a Level 1 or Level 2 just by pluging in a different pig tail plug to the EVSE. Below Is a description of how it works with pictures of the EVSE and the two pig tails. I expect this will start will become more common. The only real difference is between a level 1 and a level 2 EVSE is larger relays in the eves and a heavier cord of on the J1772 side to handle the higher amperage..
    Mach e evse.jpg

VeeDub'r and Tony S like this.
  9. Fastnf: Thanks for posting this info.

Question: Do you happen know the nameplate kW rating of the Ford portable EVSE pictured when it's plugged-into a NEMA 14-50 receptacle?

10. According to the manual the maximum output is 32 amps continuous at 240 volts. Which would be 7.68 KW. The plug is a NEMA 14-50 which will work on a 40 amp or 50 amp circuit

mobile charger.png

VeeDub'r and electriceddy like this.