Porsche Taycan versus Model S acceleration

Discussion in 'General' started by Domenick, May 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I thought I might put this in the General Forum (I may move it to the electric racing sub-forum) since we don't have huge Taycan or Model S communities here and I think we're pretty neutral here, brand-wise.

The Porsche Taycan and Tesla Model S are different cars (to my mind, at least), but they are still both very quick all-electric sedans and they will get compared a lot. Especially when it comes to performance.

The top-spec vehicles available now have finally faced off and the results were pretty interesting. This wasn't done at a proper drag strip, which is not great for several reasons, safety being the most paramount. But, what's done is done and so let's look at what it seems happened.

It looks like the Porsche Taycan Turbo S has a harder, quicker launch. Not by much though. If the cars are rolling a bit, then the Model S Performance seems to have the edge. However, when the speeds get higher -- I'm thinking around 70 or 80 miles per hour, the Taycan has a bit more top-end pep.

Here's the video:

Besides being separated by mere 10ths of a second, the two here are also about $100,000 apart. They each have other advantages and disadvantages. The Tesla has more range, the Taycan has better driving feel. The Porsche has better fit and finish (I've heard anecdotal reports of instances where it hasn't been, actually, up to usual Porsche snuff) and the Tesla has better tech -- navigation with Supercharger integration, Autopilot, games, fart sounds.

I think the winner is, of course, everyone who wants to see high-performance electric vehicles on the market to compete in sales against their internal-combustion equivalents.

2. To remove this ad click here.