plug adapter?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by SFC, Jan 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SFC

SFC New Member

I'm planning the first road trip with my Kia Niro. According to PlugShare, there's a charging station near our destination that has a NEMA 14-50 plug and it says a 3-phase to 1-phase adapter is needed. There are check-ins by a Kona owner and a couple of Leaf owners who mentioned that they brought adapters.

I'm having trouble figuring out what the right adapter would be. Can anyone share a link of where I can get one?

Thanks!
    [=sfc=]

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. blue_door

blue_door Member

I am not 100% sure, but I wonder if they are referring to the 208v output of 3-phase to 240v single-phase that is standard for US homes.

4. RDA

RDA Member

Go to Juice Net pro 40 charger site. They sell a kit with the different adapters. The difference is the number prongs on the device. Buy the kit and you are good to go.

5. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

A NEMA 14-50 receptacle cannot be 3 phase. Ignore the 3 phase comment and just figure out the adapter you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

There *is* a "NEMA 15-50", which is 3-phase. It would be quite unusual to find one however - except *perhaps* at a commercial site such as a large hotel or an office park. I guess an adapter would work.

If the OP could give us a link to the plugshare page for this charging spot, I could comment further.

8. Bender

Bender Active Member

Charger is in the vehicle. EVSE would plug into the outlet and to the vehicle.

9. DamnIHateThat

DamnIHateThat Member

I guess a lot of people refer to the thing hanging on the wall in their garage as a car charger, but you're right, it's not.