plastic piece on bumper

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by S L ., Apr 22, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. S L .

S L . Active Member

Is it normal that the driver side of the front bumper has no black plastic piece below the L shaped daytime running light? The passenger side has it.

I did not notice other cars on the lot.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

If you’re talking about the driver’s side having an opening and the passenger side being closed, then yes that is normal. This threw me off at first because I thought one side didn’t have the means to send flow to the air curtain around the driver’s front wheel. Then I found that there is a very narrow opening below this on both sides that appears to feed air to the outlet located in the front wheel wells.

You will also find a louvered outlet on the driver’s front wheel well that is not on the passenger side.
    I assume that this is matched to the driver’s opening you mentioned.

Honda has stated that they maximized the front aerodynamics vs. the need for cooling airflow. So again I assume that this is why the front openings are not symmetrical.
    Of course, these are assumptions on my part and we all know what they’re worth.

And speaking of aerodynamics, others have noticed that the finely crafted and designed aerodynamic wheel covers are the same on all 4 wheels which results in the passenger side ones being on backwards. Must have been the same engineer that passed the HV range computation! Not Honda’s finest moment.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Demian Johnston and AndyBA like this.
  4. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

Yes, the opening on the front driver side is for the electric motor cooling according to a Honda presentation. The passenger side does not have the opening as the motor is on the driver side

Johnhaydev likes this.