Pininfarina Battista only 1/4 the torque of the base Tesla Roadster- knife to gun fight

Discussion in 'General' started by 101101, Apr 16, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

They are just going to have to do a lot better. Base roadster will have 10000nm and the Battista will have only 2300nm. The thrust vectoring roadster ought to be able to lap the best time ever set at Laguna Seca. The hyper car market is going to get destroyed by Tesla. I think that thrust vectoring roadster which Musk said would handle at the limits of human endurance ought to be able to be every full on race car tested at the track- cars that cost more than 11 million a piece. The smack down Tesla will be handing the whole industry will be crushing- total absolute humiliation. Its not that the Battista is junk nor the Rimack 2 as pure electrics they beat every gas car out there but they just don't have it. Just on the Torque its like the difference in ICE terms between between a base Honda Accord and a Dodge Demon in favor of the Tesla.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. @stanford

@stanford New Member

You've got an errant 0 dodging your logic. It's 1,000nm not 10,000nm.

The Battista is nearly 2.5x more, not 25% of.

4. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Ah, no you're simply wrong. You can find tons of references to 10,000nm not 1000nm- go check. And if you know the way the motors work as building blocks you see the Semi has something like 15000nm and the Roadster 10000nm and the pickup likely will have 7500nm.
    And you can seem Musk has quoted this 10,000nm verbally in presentations. You can also look up that the roadster has better numbers even in the base form than the Batista- and while there is more than torque to 0-60 numbers, the roadster may be heavier given range and 4 seats and it still destroys the Battastia so at least learn what your talking about before making assumptions about Tesla products.

5. @stanford

@stanford New Member

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  6. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Ah no, that RT article is FUD, the apples to apples nm comparison is between the nm number Tesla gave and then the nm number Pininfarina gave and its 1/4 the Tesla's number. The RT article is ridiculous citing numbers for the Roadster not much more than the Model X which wouldn't be anything Musk would be citing as mind blowing. Plus you can look at the batteries and look at the motors in the Tesla semi, its just 4 Model 3 motors and look at the way the larger battery packs are wired to give more force and then extrapolate approximately to what must be 3 model 3 motors or the newer larger Raven motors that just went into the S driven by what may be a 200kwh battery pack.
    I do see some of the logic relative to cars that didn't have that power that supposedly got to 60 quicker than 1.9 and weren't necessarily light and cars that got to 100mph quicker than the roadster and again wheren't necessarily light but all were race cars or not real streetable and still with the COPA pack higher end roadster Musk talk the the of human endurance

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. @stanford

@stanford New Member

Tesla's website specifically states wheel torque, not engine torque. I have never seen any other manufacturer specify wheel, it is always engine output.

Comparing 0-60 and 0-100 times the roadster and Battista are almost identical. So are you telling me that Pininfarina has managed to get the same performance from their car with 2,300nm and it took Tesla 10,000nm? That seems like horrid engineering on Tesla's part if that's what you believe.

Pininfarina is not talking wheel torque. Apples to apples, these cars will be very similar. Tesla is not anywhere close to 10,000nm at the engine, there's no street tires that would hold that either.

9. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Musk has said the Tesla semi would pull the most powerful ICE semi up a hill backwards in a tug. He is talking about the current semis that are used in mining (not the purpose built mining earth movers- which aren't semis) but the class 8 type trucks used in the Australian road trains on regular roads. Now more energy is coming from the semi's stack of battery packs to those 4 model 3 motors in the Tesla Semi than the Roadster's power input and there is more tire patch of course on the semi. But remember the Tesla vehicles don't chirp, its been a Musk imperative, and it is 4 wheel traction at the limit of grip from the start. I get where your coming from and its not like I don't respect Rimac as the power train supplier but other electric makers (not Rimac) have been downright pathetic in comparison to Tesla on power and it is because they don't want to upset their ICE scams.

Musk has said the pull capacity of the Tesla Pick up will be 300klbs which is about the capacity of the highest capacity Australian road hauling tow rating for a ICE semi. Which puts the pull capacity of the Tesla Semi at about 600Klbs or about 7.5x the average class 8 towing capacity- and these are the kinds of advantages Tesla tends to have over their direct competitors that are ICE or electric, at least the 4x advantage here (if it holds) would only be like the Model X over the average SUV level. If memory serves the expected Tesla tow rating is about 7x the best the pick up the big 3 offers (of course the tires and the brakes likely won't support that but its raw power) that 7x ratio comes up a lot.

My guess is the Roadster based on announced specs will have about 1/4 more pull power (it may not be set up exactly the same) than the Tesla Pick up and about 3/4 what the Tesla Semi has- again not like it would be able to pull this off based on tires and brakes etc., but Musk is out to destroy without exception all ICE and I think he means all ICE- I think with the cold thruster pack in the founder series he can beat the top fuel dragsters that have 10000 hp and 17000nm and a good bit more tire patch than the 4 roadster tires with chasses stripped to the bone save for the ICE baggage. I think the roadster founder series with the thrust vectoring despite seating 4 and having much higher drag coefficient, and higher center of gravity and presumably much higher weight is out to beat the best Formula 1 at Laguna Seca- it will already beat them all on power but with thrust vectoring it should have better cornering, stopping and acceleration to the limits of human endurance as Musk said. But here is a point where it will utterly destroy them (hoping he gets the Maxwell ultracaps in the system as well) is Formula 1 destroys an ICE engine every race, where the Founder series roadster should be able to do it over and over again.

I take your point about the sub 2 seconds 0-60 on Battista being in the range of the base Roadster but it sounds like the base Roadster based on what Pininfarina has said is a bit quicker 0-60 and possibly a lot quicker 0-100. And the founders edition is likely to be a lot quicker in every way. But here is the kicker- The base model is like to be faster for 1/10 the price of the Battista and likely to be a better by a wider margin and the founders series 1/8 the price. I think Tesla is simply better than all these other companies by a huge margin its simply run but much smarter much more motivated people. I can't say I respect these firms they made trinkets for rich puer aeternis types- which is rather pathetic, where Musk and crew are serious minds out to undermine that BS for the best of purposes.