Picked up 2024 Tesla Model 3 Highland

Discussion in 'General' started by miatadan, Mar 16, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

After having goal of getting a Tesla since 2012, finally have it.

Trip to pick it up today was very eventful. The Mazda MX30 only has range of 200 kms under ideal conditions. When I left Sudbury at 5.30am this morning , range showed max 146 kms. I drove without headlights, heated seats off, heated steering wheel off, hvac off as well as stereo turned off.

I ran out of power 15 kms outside of Parry Sound ( 165 kms ). Phoned Mazda roadside assistance and towed to nearest charging station. I had to charge for almost 1.5 hours. Made it to Tesla Barrie.

After that the drive home was so much better, heat + stereo and back to Sudbury with 20% charge left. Charged to 90% at Sudbury Supercharger and when home plugged in and rest of charging at home. Very happy.

One of the reason’s I did not keep the Mustang Mach-E or Mazda MX30 EV as I was not happy unless finally getting a Tesla. IMG_5846.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I can tell with that big grin:)
    Congratulations, very nice looking EV

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Of the nickel mine and refinery fame?

I'm so old I remember when the 'Sunday Mail' published a hit piece on the Prius battery claiming they were the sole reason for the 1970s 'moon scape'. The old 'Top Gear' repeated that nonsense.

Hopefully happy business news, there was a recent report that Tesla 4680 cells are using a higher nickel chemistry for more energy.

Does your Tesla have LFP chemistry? If so, I'm very happy for you. After 5 years and 129,000 mi (206,000 km), my NMC 2170 pack is down 9-12% based on temperature.

Bob Wilson

miatadan likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Congrats on your handsome, new ride! I never liked the M3/MY front end; the Highland fixes that.

Had you ever run the MX30 "empty" before? Did it tell you that it might make the last 15 kms on the remaining charge?

I thought Tesla owners restrict their charging to 80%. Will you be fully charging your new M3 (the way I do my 110-mile range MINI Cooper SE: ABC--Always Be Charging)?

miatadan likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

It depends on the chemistry. The 2170 NMC batteries should normally limit to 80% charge except for rare, cross country segments. The LFP chemistry cells can charge to 100% with no problems.

Bob Wilson

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

First and only time I ran “ MX30 “ to empty. ABRP route stated that if I stay at speed suggested in app, I have enough range .

I have the newer LFP battery designed to charge to 100% .

Now need to sell my J+ Booster 2 mobile charger as no longer using it.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

bwilson4web and insightman like this.