Phantom tailgate

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by EricJ, Dec 3, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. EricJ

EricJ New Member

I’ve had my ‘23 SE for six or seven weeks now. Every few days, I back out of the garage with no camera because the tailgate is ajar. I didn’t open it, and really don’t think I’m accidentally pushing and holding the tailgate button on the remote. Anyone else notice this, or have any thoughts about it?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Yeah, but I always trace it to accidentally hitting the remote button. There are several threads on the topic, I don't recall a work around besides installing a button guard.

4. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Happens all the time from accidental pocket presses. Bimmercode can disable the button for older models. New models have an option in the lock settings.

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I disabled the hatch button on the remote (it's a menu item in the SE settings in the car), because I never need to remotely open the hatch. Once I disabled that the problem of the hatch "opening" when I got in the SE went away. It's in all models of the SE, no need for Bimmercode.

insightman and SameGuy like this.
  6. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

It’s easy to hit the button in your pocket, however I also find the hatch needs a damn good slam to register as closed, at least ours does. Couldn’t be bothered to take it to the dealer to verify alignment or whatever…

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Lol this happened to me for the first time TO. DAY. Normally I haven’t hat the fob and my wallet in the same front pocket, but there ya go. Yeah, I’ve also never needed — and can’t envision a use case — for remotely locking and unlocking the hatch. The car gets centrally locked (usually with the outside handle button), and the hatch pops when I open it. Disabling the button when I go back to the car later.

Puppethead likes this.
  9. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I find mine slams too hard on its own. I wish there were a way to soften it.

endquote likes this.
  10. endquote

endquote Active Member

Same, even if you’re gentle with it, it’s very loud from inside the car. Gravity and all that.

11. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Mine needed a good slam to close properly, for maybe the first 2 months. It's been fine since. Seal must have compressed a little.
    I've also disabled the remote boot unlock. I can't think why anyone thinks that is a good idea on a Mini.
    If you have a powered hatch, yes. But the Mini one is manual. It unlocks itself if you have the remote nearby. Default of off would make far more sense.

AndysComputer likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.