Phantom braking cost a sale

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Feb 19, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Last year, I visited my brother and his wife on a 4,000 mi tour. I bragged on how AutoPilot relieved a lot of driving stress. But I was on a trip and left without giving a demo in my Model 3.

So George and his wife took a Model Y for a test drive . . . and hit last year's "phantom brake" in traffic. Back then, phantom braking was too sensitive and aggressive. They (especially her) did not like it one bit in rush hour traffic. That defect in AutoPilot killed a potential sale. So I changed my test drive protocol to not use AutoPilot/FSD on a first drive.

Last week, I gave my typical, 30 min test drive to some cousins. But neither included AutoPilot/FSD. The trick is to effectively shutoff AutoPilot while they learn about driver profile while parked. That is such a useful feature and parked, not scary at all. Their subsequent test drive under my passenger seat guidance made it a poitive experience.

During the drive, II mentioned that AutoPilot is so different that 'It took me three weeks to feel comfortable. It really needs to be mentored.' Rural kids, I added 'It is like driving a farm truck with loose steering and funky brakes. Until you learn it steers and brakes in a good way.'

I will setup a driver profile called "Demo" with AutoPilot/FSD turned off and soften the braking features. This way they manually drive a powerful, quiet car before stepping into the AutoPilot/FSD briar patch.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.