Parking brake auto only sometimes?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Naughtysauce, Oct 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Naughtysauce

Naughtysauce Member

My first few cars had manual transmissions, still miss not having a 6 speed these days. Having those cars created a habit in me that I will not break, and that's setting the parking brake anytime I park my car. Actually I would put it in a gear and also engage the parking brake.

Now that we have these e-parking brakes, I'm starting to warm up to them, as they don't take up space and they make a cool sound when you engage/disengage them. I do loath push button transmissions, but found a feature I do like, when I'm ready to get out of my car, I just push the power button and the car automatically puts it into park, eliminating one unnecessary step for me. But I do notice that sometimes, not all the time, the parking brake will automatically engage when I press that power button. It usually only happens if I had it in drive, never had it happen after putting it in reverse then pressing the power button but it is sporadic.

Does anyone know what parameters the car has to meet for the parking brake to engage automatically when the power is turned off or it is put into park? Also, is there a setting where I can have it automatically come on whenever I turn off/put in park?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Our Clarity sets the parking brake every time we stop and push the power button to turn the car off.

4. I think it only sets automatically when you have “Brake Hold” engaged.

insightman likes this.
  5. From the manual, more complicated than I remember, but including my “Brake Hold” condition:

[​IMG]

insightman likes this.
  6. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

We use Brake Hold every time we get in the car. This may be why I think the car auto sets the emergency brake every time we shut the car down.

Fast Eddie B and insightman like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. My “flow” after starting is, SPORT MODE: ON, BRAKE HOLD: ON, then paddle up to 4 chevrons at the first opportunity. So, like you the emergency brake setting becomes the virtual default.