Overland 1000 miles. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Givmeanf, Mar 22, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Givmeanf

Givmeanf New Member

I am moving to Atlanta from upstate New York, 950 miles.
    I am checking into shipping. I am also thinking of plotting the drive.
    Any advice?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'd drive it without hesitation. Get on Plugshare or ABRP and locate a charger every 120 to 160 miles or so, and allow for charging time. I tend to figure on a 20 to 30 minute stop each time. Leave with 100% charge and then use fast chargers to get to about 80%; DC fast charging above 90% isn't worth the time because charging power gets very slow as the battery fills to most of its capacity.

Recently I did a trip of a little less than half that length (Baltimore area to Charlotte and back), using US-29 for most of it which had fewer charging opportunities, and had no issues. I also regularly drive between Baltimore and Columbus, Ohio and haven't had any problems finding charging. There are plenty of chargers along I-81, I-77 and I-85. Don't plan on using just one brand of charger; I usually rely on the brand names (Electrify America, ChargePoint, EVgo, and down south, Circle K) and note that nearby dealer chargers can be used as alternates if there are any problems. Also look for hotels that offer free overnight charging.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    electriceddy and Bruce M. like this.
  4. I agree you should drive. Couple extra thoughts.

Ideally pick a charger where there is a second one within 30 miles or so, in case the first one doesn’t work.

Download all the charging apps to your phone ahead of time.

Using Plugshare to search, set its filters for faster chargers, but if looking for hotels with chargers set it for slower ones or the hotels won’t show up.

If you’ve been mostly driving around town your car will show an expected range that’s higher than what you’ll get on the highway. Plan accordingly.

mtd and electriceddy like this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

One more thought: If the charging station networks along your route offer RFID cards to activate charging, get them as a back-up (or even as a convenient front-up).

6. Bought my used Kona in Buffalo, NY, and drove to Atlanta. With a mix of fast chargers and overnight hotel charging, the trip was pretty easy for a first- timer. Having a Tesla to J1772 adapter gives access to the Tesla Destination network of chargers. Plugshare showed me small towns where I could linger over lunch while adding 30-40 miles on level 2. It was fun!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Definitely a handy tool. It seems the EVSE of choice at motels that offer EV charging.

mtd likes this.