Over the Air (OTA) Updates

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by PeppyPepper, May 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. I was wondering about the new mini SE - whether the existing owners have had any experience with OTA updates in Mini? Do they have any? How often does it happen? Any goodies they have received in recent past?

Tesla keeps it exciting and we do get X'mas updates as well - any such fun stories here in Bimmer world?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Last week I got some kind of nav update over the air. As I was driving a message popped up on the screen asking if I want to reboot the radio now or later.

PeppyPepper likes this.
  4. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

My understanding is no, you get what you get unless there is a major issue and even then it's in person. I have seen 3 nav updates in ~6 months, but that just makes the road data somewhat recent. I'd love a simple bug fix update. Lots of minor issues through out.

PeppyPepper likes this.
  5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I convinced my service department to give me a software update, even though they say they normally only do it to fix specific issues. They charged me one hour labor, which I thought was reasonable since it was a special ask. And since I have an early SE (August 2020) I got a huge version bump, from MT-002.138.001 to MT-002.162.001.

6. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Did you see any observable improvements? Greater range? Quicker? More fun to drive? Anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

PeppyPepper and insightman like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

How little you know of German engineering culture. Either it's right the first time, or they'll move on and never admit to it.

PeppyPepper and revorg like this.
  9. eh! that's the case.. I wonder why they keep playing with their kidney grills :) - new iX is ugly!

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The update, it did nothing. That I could notice, that is.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I, too, hate BMW's giant kidney grilles--especially on the iX, which doesn't need a grille at all (like the SE doesn't need a hood scoop). So I love this photo Car & Driver used in their test of the BMW M4. The caption read, "Lemon, named after famed Detroit Tigers center fielder Chet Lemon, is a three-year-old husky–pit bull mix and has been carefully positioned here to make the M4 look better."

upload_2022-5-25_23-19-53.png

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

HA! Yeah, I was very disappointed in the beaver-tooth grills of the latest models. Happy the 2er didn't go with that but discovered the SE before placing my order for the 22 240i. Couldn't be happier! I have no issues with the redundant MINI smile in my hood!

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I actually think the F56 hood scoop is a good-looking hood scoop, but I got rid of the skeuomorphic ornament on my electric car.

15. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Interesting - I've never had an update prompt before - and just now when I ran a quick lunch errand I got the nav update prompt. It was a quick restart of just the navigation app, apparently, because my CarPlay never stopped when I took the option for upgrading 'now'.

PeppyPepper likes this.