Outside Wall Connector

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Jim In Tucson, Jan 21, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Has anyone installed a Universal Wall Connector in an enclosed lockable cabinet? Lots of EVSE cabinets online, but they all show the old Wall Connector w/o magic dock. The cabinet needs to be wide enough to allow for retrieval of the charging handle either with or w/o the CCS adapter. Any ideas?

BTW, I’m asking for someone who is not a member of this esteemed forum. I do not actually own a Tesla. Yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Are you asking for security reasons? Tesla wall connectors are weatherproof and are designed to be mounted outdoors. If you're concerned about people using your wall connector without your knowledge or permission you can have switch added to the circuit so that it receives power only when you choose...

Whatever your reason, I can't find a lockable electrical junction box that's more than 6" deep - while the nominal thickness of the Universal Wall Connector is listed as 5.9". Said box was 24"x24" so there'd be room enough inside to coil the cable but you'd probably crack the UWC's front glass trying to close and lock the door... Your best option would probably be to have a custom enclosure built onto your wall by a carpenter.

4. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Yes. Both to prevent use and vandalism.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I bought my Juicenet Pro 40 in 2016 and a few lessons learned:
    • Put where no one wants to park. This minimizes ICE vehicles blocking access.
    • Try to have it in the center of three parking spots. This allows the cable to reach the charge port from the non-EV marked parking lanes.
    • Vandalism is more often ignorance, not malice but they have the same effect. A J1772 plug is sensitive to having the locking tab broken off or the unit dropped or run over and fracturing. Signage helps; sharing abuse photos with local EV Facebook groups, and; your foot prints.
    • A J1772 extension cable, $125-199, tie-wrapped to the original cable can serve as a sacrificial plug instead of the charger cable.
    • With a configurable charger:
      • time range - this avoids overnight, power parasites who would park all night.
      • charge limit - 8 kWh (~30 mi), so they won't hog the charger all day.
      • current limit - 32 A avoids overheating the cheap 14-50 sockets sold a Lowes and Home Depot. At double the price, there are heavy duty 14-50 sockets and housings.
      • finger check 14-50 plug for heat - the grid connectors can become lossy leading to plastic melting heat. If hot, schedule time to turn off power, clean the grid leads, and properly torque.
      • there is a conductive 'grease' that helps block oxidation and improves conductivity
    Good Prius Friend, @hobbit may have some better suggestions.

Bob Wilson

6. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Have you considered having a locking, weatherproof NEMA 14-50 receptacle and using a Mobile Connector or other portable EVSE? This would allow you to keep the charging equipment indoors and out of harm's way until needed - as well as saving some significant expense.

As you originally asked about a Tesla Universal Wall Connector I'm assuming you need to charge both a Tesla and a non-Tesla vehicle: You could go either way with the portable device and use an adaptor with one of the vehicles.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.