Order of the battery replacement for EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Martyparty, May 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Does anyone happen to know the order of when the batteries are being replaced for individuals, what order are they going in? Does it happen to be the order that you came in to get your car checked or is it just random based on how many battery replacement packs the dealership gets? Thanks in advance.

1st-KonaEV-in-FL likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I would imagine the oldest Kona's first as they would be the most at risk but honestly I suspect its going to be completely random.

4. A service tech at my local dealer opined today that it's likely to be based on Hyundai's VIN record, calling up earliest numbers recorded following purchases or leases I guess. Everything seems to be conjecture at this point.

5. In NZ replacements start from August (this year I hope) according to a recent statement from Hyundai NZ. 462 examples are affected and I'm certain mine is one of them.
    There has been no suggestion as to who gets served first.
    Ignore the comment about the "BMS replacement" because the reporter who wrote this article is an idiot.

electriceddy and GeorgeS like this.
  6. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I would like to think that people whose cars were bricked by the BMS update would be at the head of the line.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I have only heard of one High voltage battery being replaced here in the US. Maybe more but it seams Hyundai is not sharing who is priority.

9. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Read the other thread regarding Hyundai's plan to just buyback your car, instead of replacing the battery.

GeorgeS likes this.
  10. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I know of several that were done last year when they started the BMS updates.

11. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I got a somewhat plaintive call today from the local dealership, some office flunky assigned
    to call all the owners in their records who haven't has any of the recalls/TSBs/campaigns/BS
    done yet. I gave her my usual earrful, these dumb bandaid "fixes" are not the right answer, and
    it would be a much better use of everyone's time to push back on Corp to be straight with the
    public, and work on tooling up to do pack replacements and get them starting to ship to the
    dealerships. This person works for the same service-department director thaf admitted that
    I and the online community know way more about these cars and the situation than his own
    people do, and they're still in a holding pattern waiting for Hyundai to do something genuinely
    effective toward fixing the problem.

Meanwhile, my own rolling firebomb is in the body shop getting a new rear end... after all that
    and the mods, there's NFW I'd consider buyback unless some other disaster comes along. The
    body shop has specific instructions that if they have to take the car up to the dealership for
    some sort of "recalibration", e.g. on the car-presence sensors under the rear bumper, they are
    absolutely forbidden to touch any other software on the car.

_H*

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Love your sense of humor, I am good for the day now:D

14. Bstronger

Bstronger New Member

Today I had our 2020 Kona Electric towed by roadside assistance to Balise
    Hyundai in Fairfield, CT. We are afraid to use the car and disgusted with
    the Hyundai USA complete lack of transparency on this product failure.
    We will not accept the car back until it is completely safe and verifiably
    restored to the range specification we spent our hard earned dollars on.
    The extra cost to us in the lack of use is a matter for later pursuit.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2021
  15. My first thought was "that's a great forum username" as it made me think of my 1974 Ford Pinto that fortunately never got rear-ended.

Shark likes this.