Order a Rivian R1T now or wait for the Tesla Truck?

Discussion in 'R1T' started by Guildenstern, Dec 1, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

Pre-order Rivian R1T or wait for Tesla Truck

1. Shut up and take my money!

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Wait for Tesla

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Buying both!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Guildenstern

Guildenstern New Member

This new Rivian pickup truck looks pretty great. Fast, 400+ miles of range. Lots of cool little features. Is it everything you want in an electric truck or do you want to wait to see the Tesla Truck before you make a pre-order?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Looks like neither will actually be available to buy for a couple of years (or possibly more), so I'm not sure what the rush is.

Just remember that the rule of thumb used to be that as a new plug-in EV model approached production, the price would go up and the estimated range would drop. Recently a few auto makers (GM, Tesla, Jaguar) have been much more careful to under-promise and over-deliver, but I wouldn't place any wagers on a brand-new company like Rivian doing so. Several people have expressed strong skepticism that Rivian can deliver this SUT for the price quoted. I'm certainly not going to claim their estimated price is impossible, but don't be surprised if the price goes up before sales/ deliveries actually start.

I certainly hope Rivian succeeds, and it does look to me like the company is being run in a way that seems to have a realistic chance of success. (Unlike, for example, Better Place or Faraday Future or Nikola.) But that doesn't mean I think we should accept all their claims as verified fact.

Still, I'm optimistic enough about the company's chances to say...

Go Rivian!
    :)

4. Tid

Tid New Member

The Tesla truck is not a good choice for me if it is the expected monster capable of towing 300,000 lb at highway speeds. It probably won't fit in my 3 car garage. I am curious about it, but I am not seriously thinking I would buy one.

To me the viable options appear to be the Rivian and the Bollinger and I have made reservations for both. The $0 required by Bollinger is fully refundable and so is the $1000 required by Rivian, so why not? By having early reservations I won't have to wait too long to buy one if they eventually become available. I like both trucks but I don't think either one is perfect. The Bollinger has features/options I wish where in the Rivian and vice versa.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  5. Pushmi-Pullyu

Gosh, that would be terrible if they refused to refund your $0. I'd take 'em to court and demand double your money back because of the pain and suffering involved.
    ;)

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

In Engineering we pick two from:
    • Good
    • Fast
    • Cheap
    Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Guildenstern

Guildenstern New Member

Maybe I should have put Bollinger too. But if I had, I should probably put a couple others that are small, even if it's unlikely they succeed.

I think Musk was joking when he said his truck would pull 300,000 lbs. That would mean using the Semi for the pickup, which seems unlikely.

9. Michael--

Michael-- New Member

One correction, Rivian is not a "brand-new company". It was founded in 2009. Also of note, they already have a production facility. A large former Mitsubishi car factory in Normal, Illinois that they bought in early 2017. This doesn't mean they are guarantied to succeed but rather that they have a lot going for them and are much further along than most Electric Auto startups.

Full disclosure, I reserved a R1T the day they announced it. It's refundable as Tid mentioned so it's really not a risk at this point in time. The more competition the better.

Domenick likes this.
  10. Congrats on the reservation!
    We've started a Rivian section to the Forum and have a thread for reservation holders to check in. Also lots of videos and things with much more to come.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. Pushmi-Pullyu

I'd call it bragging rather than joking. It's a stunt to have an ordinary pickup pull something massive, such as a 747 plane, on a flat surface. But of course that's done only at a very slow speed for a short distance.

[​IMG]

Nobody at Tesla is claiming their pickup will be able to pull 300,000 lbs. at highway speed.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Pushmi-Pullyu

That's a matter of perspective. Tesla Motors was founded in 2003; I'd say it's no longer quite brand new, but it's still a new company, as compared to nearly all established auto makers.

Compared to, let's say, the age of the Rocky Mountains, Rivian is indeed brand new. And compared to the Appalachians, the Rockies are pretty new.
    ;)

14. Terry P

Terry P New Member

Unless Musk can deliver this truck with better features than the R1T, Rivian will be getting my money.
    Tesla seems to be all over the place (Solar panels, insurance, multiple release dates, missing deadlines, etc.) and that is uncomfortable for me to place my money behind.
    GO Rivian!!!

15. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns New Member

I reserved my R1S a few months ago.
    Cant wait for the party with the seafood buffet!!
    Returning my 250e in a month and was thinking of getting a used i3 w rex..

1 person likes this.
  16. Mercedes B 250e owner, wow! That's kind of rare.

I, myself, am thinking about getting a BMW i3 soon. Torn about the ReX part, though.

Anyway, congrats on the reservation.

17. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns New Member

An i3 with the Rex is probably the only way to go with these cars if its going to be your only car. Without the Rex you are very limited on range like my 250e was. With the Rex you have the ability to keep filling up the little 2.5 gallon gas tank and get 40-50 miles for each fill-up. The 2018 model year have a better range also and have the "Sport" Styling too..

18. I have a backup vehicle for moderate distances -- within a couple hundred miles. Any further and I prefer to rent something because it drastically lowers my stress levels.
    So, I don't really need the range extender engine and that's one less thing to break and $$$ saved on any repairs.

19. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns New Member

I drive a 1970's Italian as my daily driver and do worry about its reliability on long drives, but since it has no stereo I listen to the engine and can always hear when it needs help.. With a 2016 or newer i3 with or without a Rex I think you would have nothing to worry about..

1 person likes this.