Online features in my new Mini

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by tinpanalley, Aug 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Believe it or not I couldn't get a straight answer from our Mini dealer on this. We were told we'd get free online services in the car for four years and then after that "each service" would be something you'd pay for. I tried communicating with Mini online and couldn't get anywhere if I wasn't buying a new car.
    What are the "each service" they are talking about that can be subscribed to after 4 years? The live navigation? The satellite radio? The wiki and weather? What is the actual list of online features that become paid after 4 years?
    More annoying is that the sales agent when we ordered the car had told us it was online forever with no charge because I had asked if the car needed a data plan and he had said, nope you're good forever. But the guy who showed it to us when we picked up two days ago said "in 4 years you'll have to pay to keep those service active. For example the maps will still function they just won't have live features anymore."

So is there a list of services anywhere and how long they last?

Thanks for any help!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Welcome to the forum!

What trim level SE did you purchase? The Iconic trim comes with more "services" than other trim levels, such as the MINI Concierge, but I don't know which services, such as free NAV updates, expire or when. The Iconic trim I purchased came with a free year of Sirius/XM satellite radio and I renewed that subscription when it was about to expire, but the other services I figure I'll just pay for when they, too, expire. I wasn't offered any options regarding the length of MINI's services.

4. Here in Canada we had the choice of Premium or Premium Plus. The only real difference being that the Plus had the new hubcaps, interior designs and finishes, parking assistant, the mini hud, and that was about it. So for the $3,000 difference we made what to us was the obvious choice of going with the regular Premium. But I just can't get any info ANYwhere on what the "Connected" services are, which ones will expire, and what each one will cost.

5. endquote

endquote Active Member

I was also told "free forever" which seems kind of hard to believe. Mine is Iconic.

I don't think I've ever used the services though, unless there are just things going on in the background. For example I'm sure that showing the current speed limit requires the online service to be active?

6. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    From the length of time it takes for the app to “process” a Connected request, I’m guessing the built-in cellular uses 3G or possibly even Edge, and costs BMW almost nothing.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

Is this the same BMW that will be charging subscription fees to turn on your heated seats?

GetOffYourGas, SameGuy and endquote like this.
  9. Here in NZ, below are the online services offered:

Expires after 3 yrs:
    - connected services, these are the services you get from the mobile app, i.e. charging level & range
    - RTTI
    - News, weather, guidance to petrol locations, yup we definitely need that, we might get lost without petrol, sic
    - online speech
    - concierge
    - USB map updates

These don’t expire:
    - teleservices, i.e. notifications of when you are due for a vehicle check, brake pads
    - apple CarPlay
    - emergency calls
    - remote services, i.e. locking your SE with the app or controlling the AC or headlights flasher with the app

tinpanalley likes this.
  10. Thanks for everyone's input. I just wish I could get a list from Mini here in Canada that says specifically what the services are, when they end, what they each cost to confirm what @azausa is seeing in New Zealand.

11. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Does the SE have a 5G connection? Curious when the sunset may occur for internet data.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Matt007b likes this.
  14. insightman

I didn't know the 2020 Iconic SE offered "Navigation Package" but the 2021/22 (and, I assume, 23) models received "Navigation Package Plus." Does anyone know what's better with Plus? Does Plus hide the location of gas stations? Here's a condensed version of the table @Puppethead linked.

upload_2022-8-25_22-30-51.png

Edit: This site claims to explain MINI's packs. Are these features what make the Navigation Pack Plus better than the Navigation Pack in the 2020 SE? I'm clueless what the second two bullets are.
    • Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI)
    • ConnectedDrive Services
    • Remote Services

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I found an article explaining MINI "infotainment", it says ConnectedDrive gives online search and weather. Which would seem to indicate anyone with a non-Iconic trim can't search for a destination? And those trims don't get traffic conditions? It's the main reason I use MINI Navigation.

16. Well all of this stuff is fascinating but we just looked at our entire folder of documents we were give and that we signed and nothing, not a thing, has anything to do with infotainment features. So we effectively have NO clue what we have, how long we have it for, or what it will cost to keep.

17. insightman

Other than choosing your trim level, you didn't have any choices regarding the online features. You'll quickly forget about these minor details as soon as you start driving your SE.

18. Well it's precisely forgetting that I want to avoid because I'd like to know now what to not bother getting used to that will end up being disconnected.

19. insightman

If you're an iPhoner, you'll be able to use that device with CarPlay to do more than MINI's other online services offer. Hopefully, an iOS update won't obsolete CarPlay on the SE, because MINI may not update their customers' existing infotainment systems to catch up.

20. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

In another cost cutting measure years ago (I'm guessing), Mini stopped including the "Navigation / Entertainment / Communication" manual in the glove box. If you have the Mini app, click on the "MINI Motorer's Guide". On my iPhone, this prompted me to then download the separate "MINI Guide" app where I logged in with my Mini app credentials.

Once in there, I went to the PDF menu and was able to download the entertainment manual.

EDIT: I have not read the entire manual, but I would be surprised if it addressed any costs or terms of service for the features.

389478FF-9A6D-431D-B876-C5A32FB4A609.png

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    SameGuy and Hatch like this.
  21. insightman

I've wondered how to find a manual for the NAV system. I followed your procedure but when I opened the Motorer's Guide app, I saw this menu. Where is the PDF menu?

Edit: Is my Android Motorer's Guide different than your iPhone Motorer's Guide?

upload_2022-8-26_10-35-48.png

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  22. SameGuy

YUL
    Seems so…

3A4A02E8-C020-4534-B793-27E5504A0288.jpeg

23. SameGuy

YUL
    I have arms too. Maybe that’s it.

Rogwp likes this.