OK to Buy a Kona Sitting on a Dealer Lot for More than a Year?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Danhen, Jun 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

I'm looking at leftover 2020's that have build dates going all the way back to April 2020. Any potential implications on the long term life of either of the batteries? (especially the high voltage one of course). Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It shouldn't be an issue with the traction battery as long as it hasn't been sitting there with the battery very low for extended periods of time.

You also want to make sure it's not part of the battery recall. If I remember right, April 2020 is right around where the recall affected production ended.

Danhen likes this.
  4. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Thanks. How would I know the history of the traction battery being charged? I'm under the impression the traction battery gradually loses it's charge if left sitting and unused for many months, and that the need to keep the traction battery charged is probably not on the average Hyundai dealer's radar screen.

5. You're right, basically impossible to know for sure. However the Kona doesn't really lose power on the traction battery. I had mine sit in a parking lot while we were on vacation for two weeks and coming back it had the exact same state of charge.

You probably want a new 12V battery, though.

Danhen likes this.
  6. Be sure to check the active recalls for that VIN.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Konas have relatively low parasitic drain compared to Teslas. Overall the risk of traction battery damage because due to a sustained low charge is low. Now the risk of messed up 12V battery is exponentially higher. That said you should also be aware that the traction battery capacity is decaying from just calendar aging from the moment its initialized during the manufacturing process. You could probably expect a capacity decay somewhere in the vicinity of 1-2% per year. A Kona that has been sitting around unused is not quite the same as a freshly minted one.

9. Just power the car on and see what the charge level is. Anything over 20% should be fine. The battery depletes very slowly over time.

Esprit1st likes this.