Oil changes

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by loomis2, Dec 31, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

My Owner's Guide doesn't really get much into the topic of oil changes. How often are you supposed to change the oil on a PHEV?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Volt is maximum of 2 years between changes due to oil age. It will depend a lot on miles the engine is used with the car.

4. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

That's going to vary by the model of car. It certainly should be specified somewhere in the owner's manual! (Does it have an index at the back?) If not, you can always call your auto dealer and ask the service department.

5. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

The owner's manual says to replace the oil every 1 year or when the car tells you to, whichever comes first. This is for US, Canadian items are on the next page in the manual.

[​IMG]

6. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

The salesman told me the engine has an oil viscosity sensor. That would be a good solution but all I have is his word on the subject. I see comments online about a Honda Oil-Life monitor and a number of comments about how the system works. They are all different and seem like guesses to me. At any rate it certainly doesn't make sense to use the car's odometer.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Pushmi-Pullyu

Is that from the manual for the Honda Clarity PHEV?

9. West1

West1 Member

The ECU knows exactly how much fuel has been burned in the engine. This is used to calculate when to change the oil. Nearly every single automaker uses the same type of calculation. Ive never read about any of them using a viscosity sensor.

10. Pushmi-Pullyu

Seems rather problematic to use a viscosity sensor. When it's very cold, viscosity increases dramatically. When it's very warm, viscosity goes down. That's certainly not an indication of when it is (or isn't) time to change the oil!

11. Reagle

Reagle New Member

Our 07 Civic Hybrid did the same thing- it'll count miles and conditions an then show a service code telling you what to do. Not convinced there are sensors involved or just software

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Hobbesgsr

Hobbesgsr Active Member

[​IMG]

Check out those 8 plastic lock screws to remove the fairing shroud to get to the oil drain screw.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  14. dstrauss

dstrauss Well-Known Member

Look at the second instruction - "If necessary, drive the vehicle until the engine turns on." Can anyone say "joyride!" :eek:

Might want to pull the dipstick more than once a year...:rolleyes:

15. bfd

bfd Active Member

I suspect with the Clarity, you could get away with taking it in every 10K - or at least once a year. My sense of the EV/HV ratio so far for me is 80/20. On my old PriusPHEV that was reversed. I took that car in every 7500K miles, so that was about twice a year. I suspect I'll take the safe route with the Clarity, but I'm not putting that many miles on it so far, so far the average is about 600mi/month. That would mean once a year if I stuck to the 7500K maintenance plan.

16. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

FYI: To avoid possible warranty issues, you have to obey the all powerful manual which says to change the oil whenever the maintenance minder pokes its head out from behind the curtain in Oz, or 1 year, whichever comes first. You don’t want to give Honda any reason not to honor the warranty! And don’t forget to reset the maintenance minder.
    Since my driving is also predominantly EV and under 12,000/yr, I had to put a reminder on my calendar so Siri can remind me based on time as my gasoline engine usage will be so low that I bet the maintenance minder will not come on within the 1 yr period.
    Or does anyone know if it will time out at 1 yr and come on? Guess we’ll find out later this year.

17. TimoClarity

TimoClarity New Member

Ken, do you know how to reset the maintenance minder? I tried hold down the trip reset and power on together beyond 25 sec but still it won't reset. Thank you

18. TimoClarity

TimoClarity New Member

Just change my oil over the weekend and those screws are aluminum not plastic.

Clarity_Newbie and V8Power like this.
  19. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

That's great & good to know thanks! Hate those cheap plastic screws.

20. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Here it is from p479 in the manual:

1.Set the power mode to ON.
    2.Press the (display/information) button.
    3.Press the “arrow L/arrow R” button to select the “wrench” icon, and press the ENTER button.
    4.Press and hold the ENTER button for about 10 seconds to enter the reset mode.
    5.Press “up arrow/down arrow” to select a maintenance item to reset, or to select All Due Items (You can also select Cancel to end the process).
    6.Press the ENTER button to reset the selected item.
    7.Repeat from step 4 for other items you wish to reset.

My apologies, the icons did not copy over. I added the parts in quotes.
    Be sure to keep your receipts and document everything just in case you have a warranty repair later.

21. Tailwind

Tailwind Active Member

My car just popped up the first A1 reminder. 7K miles on the odometer, but only roughly 12 gallons of fuel burned in 8 1/2 months. Using 44 miles per gallon, that comes to 528 miles driven in HV mode. Roughly 10% of my driving. Took the car into the dealer for the service and asked the service writer about changing the oil after only 5-600 miles, if that made sense. Service guy says he's never been asked that question, so he goes to ask the shop manager. I can overhear their conversation and the shop manager says things like "Honda uses key turns and other criteria to determine when to change the oil". Same kind of nonsense answers I've gotten from service techs before. Makes no sense at all to change the oil after 600 miles of driving.

Personally, I think that Honda is using the same criteria for an oil change on the Clarity as they do on all their other cars. Kind of like the HV range issue. The software isn't taking into account the difference between a standard gasoline powered car and a plug in hybrid. Just my opinion, though.

Clarity_Newbie and KentuckyKen like this.
  22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Here's the thread for you:
    Let’s get the oil change interval bug fixed and here’s a poll and a link to do it

23. Changed my oil and made a video yesterday. I will be posting the video today for those interested.

Robin, qtpie, Johnhaydev and 3 others like this.