Odd smell when charging while driving

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Timothy, Feb 16, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

Our Clarity has been great. One concern is an odd smell when using the feature where you hold down the HV button to charge while driving. We have only done this twice, but each time has led to an odd smell. Any one experience this or have any advice? Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

If you want to be safe you could have the technician at the dealer check it out, but most likely it is stuff burning off the engine. If it doesn't go away after running the engine for a while (maybe 1 hour of run time?), it could be a leak of some kind, but usually you get some bad smells from engines when running them the first time, or after a prolonged period. You might notice it if you don't use the engine for the next 6 weeks and run it again for a bit.

An issue with hybrids is they don't get warm enough all the time to burn crud off, so the charge mode will likely load the engine more and cause it to burn stuff off. That smell should go away when everything has burned off.

4. My Volt smelled "hot" after each ICE run for several weeks. There was no problem.

5. barnesgj

barnesgj Active Member

My Clarity had an oder when I first ran the ICE. It went away after a short time and has not returned.

6. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

Same. I had to run it home on the ICE all the way from the dealer because it had not been charged. Smell went away after about 30 mins.

7. To remove this ad click here.