October 2022 Navigation Update

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Toolworker, Mar 16, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I'm getting to the age where I often can't find things.

I can't find a thread on this update, other than the one about losing radio presets. Is there another one?

A few questions about this update:
    1. Is this still the latest?
    2. Does it lose presets for everyone?
    3. I don't suppose it includes automatic Daylight Savings correction, does it? (One of my pet peeves.)
    4. I don't suppose it improves route selection, does it?
    5. Does it improve anything, other than map updates?
    The navigation issues came up yesterday when it tried to send me 8 miles out of the way (left image), ignoring the correct route which I took (right image) and another shorter alternative along its suggested route. Sigh.

20230315 Composite.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 1. Yes
    2. No
    3. No
    4. It depends how old your current software is. It adds a "Prefer Freeway" routing option.
    5. It updates the "EV" screen to match that of the Ioniq 5, it adds new Sounds of Nature, it enhances metadata display on FM radio stations in the US, and it adds a few more voice commands.

Toolworker likes this.
  4. Thanks, @UnnDunn . I went ahead and installed the update. A few observations:
    • The first time I tried, I used an SD card in a USB card reader. The Navigation Updater wrote the card, but it didn't work in the car and the SD card was unusable after that. It's unclear whether the card already had a problem, and when you use a lashup you take your chances.
    • But I had already exited the Updater and deleted the 35 Gb download files, so had to download again.
    • X-ing out of the Updater preserves the files. To delete them once the system is updated, run the Updater, click the Settings gear, and there's an option to delete the files.
    • When the system saw the USB drive, it offered the handy option to update after the car was turned off. Since the car was in a garage, the headlights stayed on, and the 12.2 battery voltage was concerning. However, when the headlights went off, the voltage went up to 12.32, and was only down to 12.19 an hour later.
    • The radio presets are still there, so far.
    Now that the Kona is apparently sharing software with the Ioniq 5, perhaps Hyundai's marketing people will ask Mapnsoft to fix the navigation's tendency to go walkabout.

5. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

6. Doesn't look like there's a lot of activity on those forums. But it might be worth a try - apparently someone from the company does participate.

There's some website or other where I have submitted corrections, but the problem is that the software just doesn't compute the best routes.

I opened a case with Hyundai Customer (Don't) Care, and took the trouble to include some example files. Their prompt response: "Based on the nature of your inquiry, we recommend calling our Bluelink Team at your earliest convenience so they may assist you with troubleshooting your navigation system and the routes provided."

7. To remove this ad click here.