Now have wireless CarPlay

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by hwitten, Jan 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The biggest reason for using CarPlay very selectively (almost not at all) was that I had to physically connect it via USB.

Gadget from https://carplay2air.com solved that.
    Installation (pairing) was super easy.

Will have to wait for next drive to see how it behaves out in the wild but so-far the test(s) in garage are very encouraging.

WCarPlay1.jpeg WCarPlay2.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Looks neat, it would be cool if there was a wireless android auto version.

4. I think there are even more, and cheaper, wireless AA adapters available than for iPhone.

5. Vanryan

Vanryan Member

Can you use the buttons on the steering wheel with this one?

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Haven't tried that. Will give it try next trip and report back.

8. Alexstd

Alexstd New Member

Hey, so is it worth it?

9. Worth it to me. Much more convenient for occasional use. Kona Nav is my preference but it's nice to go CarPlay as needed without having to stop to plug it in.
    One caveat... when starting out from home it's not happy until I'm out of the yard and away from my own WiFi. It sorts itself out if just left alone.

10. Manfredo52

Manfredo52 New Member

Small question: Will it work with a small iPad as well ? Usually Carplay requires iPhone only, but may be this one..iPad ?

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. The device (iPad) would need to have CarPlay available in Settings. None of mine do so I suspect the answer would be no. Would be nice though.

13. Lex23

Lex23 Member

14. Works fine. Am not leaving it plugged in as I don't like CarPlay coming up as default on startup. I prefer to use Kona Nav as primary. It'll be nice for those times that I do want Google or Apple maps, I.e. when I actually want to use CarPlay. It's easier to plug in 'on demand' as I can do it with one hand. No iPhone to hold while trying to plug cable in. All in all... happy with purchase.

Lex23 likes this.