Noob question about charging

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by David12231990, Jul 24, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

Hi everyone!

I had my electrician install 240v outlet on a dedicated circuit in my garage that handles 50amp. I bought Emporia 48amp charger. When I plug it in, it sets its only sending my car 30 amps and so my car says it will be charged (from 30%) in 6.5 hours which is much longer than I was anticipating.

I thought I saw that this charger would do 40amps when plugged but it only says it's doing 30.

So what gives? Is this a kona limitation? Do I need to call my electrician?

Thanks! Still learning all this stuff.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. All the charger does is (continuously) offer a current to the EV. It doesn't care what portion of that the car takes. In a simple wall charger that current setting is fixed internally and should not be higher than 80% of the circuit capacity.

If you remove the large plastic cover over the "motor" you can read the specifications of the on-board charger (OBC) electronics, which is usually around 35 amps for a single phase OBC, or 50 if you live in a Type 2 country and have a 3-phase OBC that can handle that, see second image.

It doesn't sound like anything is wrong if you live in a J1772 country like N. America and the dash reads 7.4 to 7.6 kW.

OBC nameplate.jpeg

2020 3-ph OBC label.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
    22kona likes this.
  4. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

The Kona EV will only do 7.5kw on Level 2, aka 30 amps at 240v.

This is a limit of the vehicle and there is nothing wrong with your EVSE or your installation.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

Well I never heard it from anyone. I just assumed (incorrectly) the car would take 40 since that's what I set up the charger to do. But I'm glad to see that it's the battery's limitation

6. It's the OBC limit rather than the battery. On DC the battery can take in some 77 kW if the conditions are optimal.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It was a wise decision to install a 48A EVSE.
    The cost difference is minimal upon installation (just larger conductors), which guarantees you compatibility with what most BEVs are capable of today (~11.5 kW on board chargers).
    Should you decide to upgrade vehicles in the future, you will be glad you did so ;)

JoeS, insightman, 22kona and 2 others like this.
  9. Only to thank him/her for the great job they did, and confirm that everything is working as expected.
    We appreciate that kind of feedback:)

John Lumsden, 22kona and KiwiME like this.
  10. David12231990

David12231990 New Member

He put in 12 recessesed lights, three new light fixtures as well. He got a big tip and did a great job for a great price!

electriceddy and 22kona like this.
  11. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

As an aside, it's good to know that the OBC can handle up to 285 volts. There's been mention on some
    other forum that some commercial installations might have EVSEs on one phase of 277/408 power, and
    especially around NACS / J1772 adaptation there was concern that an OBC might receive too high a
    voltage. Using the same pins for both DC and AC needs a bit more switching complexity in Teslas, too...

_H*

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I was waiting for our resident electrician to show up but one point to add is that the voltage of a 3-phase supply is usually specified as phase-to-phase while the rating on the OBC is phase to neutral. The OBC's 285 VAC rating allows an approximate 20% headroom over the Level 2 200-240 VAC single-phase supplies found worldwide in order to stay safely outside normal line voltage tolerances. The same with the 70 VAC at the lower end of the range where 70 VAC is under the worse case tolerance on a 100 VAC supply, only Japan from what I understand.

14. Much greater knowledge above than I possess but the sparky did have to change the 40amp breaker to 50 amps because it was tripping even though it was only drawing 32amps. My charge rate went up slightly after that from 6. 2 to 7.4kW. We have CCS2 here and single phase 240v. Might have been a dud 40 amp breaker.

15. I thought I'd post this photo to add to KiwiMe's post above. This is from 22-23 model. Kona Charger Info label.jpg

KiwiME likes this.