Non-North America 2022 EV Question - Instrument Cluster

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Toolworker, Jun 24, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Since the 2022 Kona EV hasn't been released yet here in North America, I'm wondering about the new instrument panel.

Is that display configurable? Is there an option for a large digital display of the speed?

The photos show a retro analog dial. Since the Heads-Up Display is disappearing from the 2022s here, I'm concerned that it'll be hard to read the speed from that display.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. IMG_3603.jpg View attachment 12445 View attachment 12445
    Yes there are four settings and one has a digital display. If you can read the speed on the HUD you can certainly read it on the display because although the digits aren't huge, they appear bigger than on the HUD. In the pic you'll see the speed at zero on the left of the display and you can just see it on the HUD.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  4. Thanks, @John Lumsden . I have no trouble seeing it on the HUD; there's usually nothing else up there except the speed limit and I don't have to take my eyes off the road.

I thought of a couple more questions:

Some of the 2022 reviews mention "true one-pedal driving." The 2020 doesn't have that - you can slow almost to a halt with the accelerator but have to step on the brake to come to a stop. On the 2022, can you stop with just the accelerator?

And if anyone has driven both the 2022 and the pre-2022, has the handling changed? My 2020 handles fantastically - nimble and precise. But they've changed the suspension and I wonder if it's still as much fun to drive.

Does the instrument panel display the next turn in navigation? That's the other thing that's handy on the HUD.

5. I don't notice any difference between my 2018 built and the 2021 built in terms of the regenerative braking. To come to a stop I use the left paddle unless it's a curve going downhill which is the only time I normally use the disc brakes. Also my suspension is the same and so is the handling, thank goodness!
    I'll have to check the display of the next turn. It is on the centre panel but I'll stow the HUD and see if the next turn is on the cluster.

Toolworker likes this.
  6. Thanks. I'm still curious if the accelerator will stop the 2021.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I'll take a trip around the block and get back to you on that.

9. If you stop with the left paddle the car stays stopped. If you stop with the footbrake, and take your foot off the brake it creeps. You can't stop by just taking your foot off the accelerator - on level ground it slows to a creep.

For the next turn on the navigation, it does not show on the cluster right in front of you. It does show conveniently by my left hand on the centre display (Right hand drive car). You can see a U-turn in 100m on the display. IMG_3606.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Toolworker and Danhen like this.
  10. Is there a 2022 owners manual online that shows all four displays? It would be helpful to see what the choices are.

11. There may well be but I have not used it so quicker to send you pictures. Cube.JPG Choice.JPG A.JPG B.JPG C.JPG

Toolworker and electriceddy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Interesting. So did all the 2021s in Australia have the 10.25" digital instrument cluster with the two dials, not the single dial as on U.S. vehicles?

14. I think what you call a 2022 model is what is currently built in 2021, and described as a 2021 model here. (It's why I put "built" in the member signature.)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  15. AFAIK, yes. I'm new to EVs, Hyundai and Kona, so I don't know about earlier models - sorry for the resulting lack of detail.

Prompted by John's post, my battery was manufactured in March 2021 and my Kona in April 2021. I bought it in May - it smelled very new:).

John Lumsden likes this.
  16. Bet you're enjoying it!

17. It's not what I call a 2022 model, it's what Hyundai Motors America calls a 2022 model. :confused:

Not only do they assort features and trim lines by country, not to mention color names - they also localize years. To paraphrase George Bernard Shaw, we are an international community divided by a common vehicle.

18. Oh, yes! It's mostly the wife's suburban run-around but we've done a couple of trips. The first was 270km (return) of winding, hilly back roads with some very steep 600 metre climbs and descents. The second was 520km return of highway driving. It's an excellent little tourer and LOTS of fun on the back roads. 2200km on the clock in a month of ownership, averaging 14kWh per 100km.

It's the wife's car but my toy :D.

John Lumsden likes this.
  19. I'm sure that the matter of naming model years is more the convention of the automobile industry in a particular country than a peculiarity of Hyundai USA. As to the other differences in features and options, I know that the importer here puts a lot of effort into specifying what they believe the local market will appreciate, and correspond to the brand positioning. I'll upload a review that was published locally and is in another thread which mentions brand image for fleets. All that said I have no explanation for why your white is "Lunar White" and mine is "Atlas White"!

Attached Files:

Toolworker likes this.
  20. But I know why our "Blue Wave" is your "Dive in Jeju." :D

21. Pray tell! Is it a car for Surfing Democrats?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    Toolworker likes this.
  22. I assume it's because diving is popular in South Pacific countries, and Jeju Island is South Korea's most popular vacation destination, but most Americans haven't a clue about it.

John Lumsden likes this.