Noisy AC Converter

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by AlanSqB, Feb 26, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

My EVSE is capable of charging at up to 30A. I have noticed that when the car is charging at that level, some of the LED lights in my house start to waver. It’s not a voltage issue and other EVs have charged there with no issues. I was able to get rid of the problem by dialing down the pilot to 24A.

Is anyone else noticing any symptoms that could be related to line noise created by the converter in the car? Wondering if it’s just me and if so, do the techs at the dealer know enough about the car to diagnose/fix it. Right now it’s not enough of an issue to worry about.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Almost every light in our house, including those in the garage where the car is charged, are LED. I've seen no problem with the lights. Our EVSE shows about 29 amps while the car is charging. It's a 40 amp EVSE. Ours is a JuiceBox Pro 40. Perhaps someone with your charge station model can respond. Which one do you have?

4. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

It’s an OpenEVSE so I’m the tech service department. There aren’t any components inside an EVSE that could generate that kind of noise however. It’s really just a big safety switch with a fancy extension cord.

I have Leds throughout the house but it’s only the ones in the kitchen that have this issue. The rest are fine.

5. aapitten

aapitten Active Member

AlanSqB, do you have an oscilloscope you could hook up to your power to see what it looks like? If you move one of the LED bulbs to a different circuit does it still do it?

6. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

I have an OpenEVSE too. Haven't had this occur for me, though I mostly charge at the lowest 10A current since it's going overnight.

Is the outlet that the OpenEVSE connected to using a 40Amp breaker? Or is it possible that it is on a 30Amp circuit? The recommendation is no more than 80% sustained current, so if it's only a 30Amp breaker you should only be pulling 24Amps steady current through that circuit.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Agree, I have all LED lights, never seen the issue you mention. Sounds more like a house side wiring problem then the car. Did you other EVs draw 30 amps while charging?

Did you measure the Voltage when the car is drawing 30 amps? Does it sag at all? Is the car on an independent circuit breaker (nothing else on the circuit)? It should be.

Some of those LEDs are pretty junky, I notice some I have will start to flicker occasionally when they are failing.

9. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

My house is haunted so flickering lights is normal. If you start having blood dripping from the walls and low moaning it may not be your charger. :)

Domenick likes this.