Noe, it's the gearbox

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Luis Abreu, Jun 29, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Hello guys.

Just wondering if anyone who's been driving for more thank 50 000k has had any issues with the gearbox... It seems like mine needs to be replaced...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Not sure what the gearbox would entail, there's just forward and reverse. But I just went over 100,300 km (62,300 mi) and have had no issues. Mine is a 2021 SE I got in August 2020.

4. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Is really great with your milages no issues I’m 7600 miles in year and half I m going to reach you milage in year 2033 bc in new car I drove more than usually.I just wander what issues Luis Abreu have with 1 speed transmission no description of symptoms but for fun my kid pay for Porsche Turbo replacement of PDK transmission $ 32000 crate deliver from Stuttgart my go cart was only $ 30000 without $7500 tax.

5. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Is there a front differential? I forget.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

What are the symptoms of your failing SE gearbox?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

The gearbox is a single speed reduction gear. I didn't see a differential in the i3 e-transmission manufacturing process. Hopefully it's just the e-transmission and not the connection between transmission and electric motor.

bmwetransmission.JPG

9. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Hello guys.

I've noticed a different noise while regenerating. To be honest, I've only noticed because the radio was off...it's not loud and you have to pay attention to hear it. I've went back to the dealer and after running some diagnostics, they've told me that the gearbox would have to be replaced...fortunately for me, it's covered by warranty...not sure on what the real problem is, but they told me that I should keep driving the car until the replacement arrives.

10. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

Good deal it's being replaced.

We bought a certified used Mazda 5 years ago, only 2 years old, and I noticed a hard shift between 3rd-4th. They replaced the transmission. We had a loaner for a month until it was done. Good experience.

11. Green Gatsby

Green Gatsby Member

Pretty sure that's the differential on the right, it's most likely on the back side of the large gear inside the transmission case.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Maybe! I didn't see any ring and pinions but hopefully someone is kind enough to teardown their e-transmission for science!

14. Green Gatsby

Green Gatsby Member

Agreed!! I'm dying to know if the differential shares a part number with anything Quaiffe or WaveTrac make upgrades for... :D