No Dealer Near My Area

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarter3636, May 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

My first EV. Seriously looking at the VW ID4 but the nearest dealer is about 60 miles away. I have already test driven the car and was impressed. Should I be concerned with the dealer that far away with concerns of any kind of mechanical failure that would require “special” attention?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I think it’s fair to be concerned but it wouldn’t stop me if it’s the car I wanted. Certainly within the ID4’s range for general service so that’s not the problem other than a total breakdown. I guess the other question would be are there other auto dealers near you or would this be the same problem with an ICE vehicle?

4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Where we are, the only thing in town is Chevy and Ford. VW and Hyundai are 40 miles away. Everything else is further.

If something really goes wrong and the car isn't drivable, you need a tow, whether you are 1 mile away or 60 miles away.

Clamps likes this.
  5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

MINI provides free towing to nearest dealer under warranty, regardless of distance. I would hope other premium-priced EV brands would have similar service.

Clamps likes this.
  6. I remember when I bought my first EV, an electric Smart car. I had asked the salesman if there was some sort of towing or assist if I ran out of juice. No, was the answer. It’s a nice program to have especially if it’s your first EV and in particular if you have a car with limited range like my old Smart.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Earl

Earl Active Member

For what its worth: Tesla has mobile service rangers who will go to you if there are problems.
    The legacy dealers often refuse or reluctantly support their cars and often only have 1 or 2 service techs who even can work on EVs.
    While the new VW, Ford, and Kia EVs all seem to be reasonably good cars, their manufacturers and dealers are still luke-warm, at best about their willingness to sell and support them. I would highly recommend that you talk with your VW dealer and ask how well they like the ID4. The answer should tell you a lot before the 60 miles even comes into play.
    While I'm accused of being a Tesla Fanboi, it is for reason. My family has owned 3 non-Tesla EVs as well, a GM EV1, a Nissan Leaf, and a GM Volt. Each had its issues, mostly from lack of commitment by the manufacturer. My parents were over 60 miles from their nearest Tesla service center until Tesla recently got a mobile technician in their town. The service technicians from the center have always taken good care of the few minor issues with their very early cars.
    Tesla is the only EV manufacturer who is dedicated to making their EV customers happy. Most of the rest would prefer to sell you an ICE.
    The ID4 looks quite good but, it is new and you probably should be careful.