Nissan Leaf Plus range at 70 mph

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by Domenick, May 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. I am looking forward to Tom's next runs with the Tesla 3 SR+ and Bolt. The 185 isn't too surprising, for not using the last 10% of the battery (the reserve), which would put total range around 200-205, which is pretty close to what carwow measured. I would like to see what moving the tire inflation up to 44, similar to what Tesla recommends on the same tire as the Leaf. I do like the overall concept of the 70mph test.

3. The 70 mph test is helpful because it measures the range people can expect while taking long trips, which is when range is especially important. It's complementary, though, and doesn't replace an EPA-type test, where you see some city and highway conditions combined.

Kenneth Bokor likes this.
  4. DJP

DJP Active Member

I'd be interested in seeing a long range test that compares driving at 100kph compared to 110kph to show whether the time saved going 110kph is more or less than the time spent charging if you drive at 100kph, i.e. you've gone 10 more km in the hour but you have used more energy to do it and will require a longer charging time. It would be good to compare mountain and plains driving, too.

Domenick likes this.
  5. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

I would guess the extra 10kph is not worth it time wise versus energy usage, as you will use exponentially more energy to go that faster speed. The energy usage is not linear.

Domenick likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

8. Lawrence Rhodes

Lawrence Rhodes New Member

Both our Leafs show an average of 4.9 miles per KW. We however only drive 55mph or less on the freeway. The penalty for an inefficient aerodynamically designed econobox. However that said I love my Leafs. They have affordability allowed my wife and I to drive electric.

IanH, electriceddy and Domenick like this.
  9. KENNY

KENNY New Member

Tom’s results are consistent with what I get in my 2018 40KW Leaf on the freeway at 110 KPH. With the A/C on and the outside temp over 20 degrees Celsius I can get 5.5 KM/KWH, and up to 6.2 KM/KWH if the outside temp is over 30.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs