Niro software

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by ENirogus, Nov 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

So I like my Niro, it is a decent car that does what I ask of it.

The software is a disappointment. Mostly because it is not something that is cost dependent.
    If the car lacked features, then I should have bought a more expensive car.

The software is just crap

Almost drove into a parked car because I was trying to switch to the radio.
    OK, 7 months in I get that I am not supposed to be staring at the infotainment screen, so stop with the warning everytime I start the car, blocking the usability of said screen

no visual cue that touching a part of the screen will open another menu

Is there really a usable trip odometer?

The one included resets on its own schedule, so really do I have to take a picture of my odo to figure out how many miles I got on this charge?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. There is 3 odometers in the car:
    1: total miles, not resettable, obviously
    2: miles since last parked period of more than 4 hours (this is the weird one)
    3: user reset one. Only resets if you reset it (hold button on steering wheel)

So if you want the miles since last charge you need either reset it when you're charging (3) or if you charged over night #2 will show you.

For road trips with frequent charging only 3 is feasible.

4. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith Guest

You would be absolutely correct.

Odd, I get a beep and a flash on the button I push.

Answered above.

I just wait for the Confirm button to come up, then set my music, then drive. It's really not that long.

5. I get it that the software is crap.

But this statement: "The software is a disappointment. Mostly because it is not something that is cost dependent." surprises me a bit.

The software development is huge, and costs money. It's an inexpensive car considering the number of features. I would have preferred fewer features but better implementation.

But I don't have Audi/BMW/Mercedes expectations of this car. I run a business that makes communication devices. I have 3 times the number of software engineers than hardware engineers.

Good software takes time, money and skilled people.

So software is indeed cost dependent, it costs money to develop and is harder to gauge if it is done properly, testing is much more difficult that seeing how long a bearing will last, or an axle will snap.

Greg

6. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

Power windows cost money
    alloy wheels cost money
    Even certain paint colors actually cost money[red has historically been more expensive]

However, software does not have the same kind of per unit cost, in fact it is the reverse. The more units you make, the less it costs, per unit, ad infinitum, as opposed to objects that you still must manufacture.

I am not saying software costs nothing, but that competent software is pretty straightforward.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

uhh, there is an area on the screen, the shows no indication that it will do anything when touched.
    so, yes when I saw there were features shown in videos etc, I experimented, and found them, but there should be, in competent software[not great, competent] indications that touching an area on the screen will do something.

And yes it is really that long, one cannot set the radio, music, whatever, for many seconds for no reason at all other than a stupid pop over is consuming the screen, making me, ohh, guess what, look at it repeatedly while driving to see if it has gone away so I can use the features of my vehicle

stupid

9. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith Guest

What area are you speaking of? Maybe that would help me understand what you're trying to explain. Do you mean, for example, getting to the energy consumption screens?

You seriously can't refrain from driving away for 10 seconds after you turn the vehicle on?
    wow.

10. Pretty much every car has that nowadays. It takes me longer to back out of my driveway. (not a long driveway. Only about 2 car lengths)

11. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

I back out of my driveway, drive down the street and am several hundred yards down the road before it shuts off

And, no I start my car and drive away, stupid is stupid, don't blame it on the driver.

Once the vehicle is moving, the crap should stop.

I do not believe the warning screen on my wifes subaru is on when we are moving

12. To remove this ad click here.