Niro EV ships end of February in U.S.!

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Domenick, Jan 30, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The Niro EV is to begin deliveries in the U.S. starting at the end of February. InsideEVs sat down with a couple of Kia execs to learn more about the launch and the company's strategy.

To begin, the cars will be sold in California, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Rhode Island, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Texas, and Washington.

They reject the idea that this is a so-called compliance car. They will be selling them in 3 non-Zev states: GA, TX, & HI. There will, they acknowledge, only be a relatively small number of vehicles brought to the U.S. to start, but that's only because they are being limited by HQ in Korea.

Regarding price, the actual number will be released closer to on-sale date, but they say it will be competitive with Hyundai Kona Electric, which starts at $36,450. I imagine the slightly larger Niro EV will be slightly more expensive.

There's a bit more at the link at the top of this post.

dankEV, LegoZ, TiburonH and 3 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. siromega

siromega New Member

Wow, I'm shocked that this might not be just a 2nd gen compliance EV. Good job Kia going for a wider distribution than just CA, OR, etc.

This seems like the EV to get if you aren't able/don't want a Tesla and don't live in a CARB EV state. I'd put it on my list if I wasn't planning on a Model 3.

Domenick likes this.
  4. Frank Gilfeather

Frank Gilfeather New Member

I am interested is special ordering the Niro EV to New Mexico. Any ideas on how this might work?

5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Washington state is not a ZEV state. We do follow the CARB regulations for gas powered vehicles and hybrids.

6. I have heard of at least one person who used Fiesta auto group to buy a PHEV niro not available in texas but available here. I have purchased in texas new prior and usually one checks inventory, corresponds with the dealer when one is found, and goes from there. The best deals in texas are usually found in the high population areas though there will not be much below retail with this.
    If one is making a simple buy one arranges with the dealer for transport of the vehicle. Usually that is free. If one has a trade in to provide a firm number one has to make the trip but get a approximate with pictures and a brief description and vin number.
    If they deviate upon arrival have a second possibility lined up so you can still back out. I would suggest it is easier to finance at home source and have that available but really that is a thing you must personally explore. I would start with Austin. A more progressive crowd probably their dealers will stock at least one.
    You have to do the licensing and all that yourself. You submit their paperwork to get a title which probably they will not want to give you immediately, it will take them a week or so to mail out. I would only use a long term dealer that had several years of business to prevent overt fraud possibility.
    Texas can be a bit hard to sue in. Their state AG does nothing near as I can tell. Taxes they should exempt you from state taxation and that is lucky as they are quite steep on sales.
    Confirm they are. Be careful with what they customarily charge, taxes fees and licensing they may add in things that are customary charges but do not apply as you are out of state and doing it your self.
    I buy in state they give me a license plate. Out of state no I must get one and pay for it. For instance.
    Or you could contact your local kia dealer and see what they will offer. DEalers will provide outside inventory if sales are guaranteed. But you may pay a premium. They simply buy from another and transport really.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Looks like I might have wasted time test driving a used BMW i3 today... :/
    Now I have this to think about... the bad part is I’ll likely have to go to Austin or Houston to get one as the Kia/Hyundai dealerships up here won’t stock or order anything with a plug and will tell you you can’t buy any of them in the state...

I do wish you could option a smaller pack. For me I want this as a second car to my Clarity PHEV. I also realize that limits power draw from the pack so there are many complexities other than just make the pack smaller.

9. Initial inventories are expected to be extremely small, so I'd call dealers to let them know you're interested and hopefully hold one for you.

Kia does make a smaller battery version -- 39 Kwh -- but in the U.S. and Canada, we'll only get the 64 kWh version. Besides less range, the 39 kWh also has less power.

LegoZ likes this.
  10. Electra

Electra Active Member

What state do you reside in?

11. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Texas

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Electra

Electra Active Member

Have you considered the 40 kWh Leaf? I'm also in TX and got an awesome deal on a 2019 SL for $31,450 plus tax. I'll get $2,500 from the TX rebate and $7,500 IRS tax credit. You must have Oncor as your electric provider. DM me if you want more info.

LegoZ likes this.
  14. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

I have considered the Leaf as well I haven’t had a chance to drive the new ones yet. They also have a lease deal for the 2018’s that I’m considering as Nissan is providing around 9000 in credits toward the lease.

15. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Just remember that fast charging is limited in the new Leafs.

Secondly, we don't know how well the Leaf battery without liquid cooling is going to hold up over time. In areas with high summer temperatures, that may be an issue for those buying and not leasing a Leaf.

Thirdly, the SV model can be ordered with a heat pump. If your winter temperatures average above 32 degrees F, that will help keep your winter range from dropping so much.

16. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Also, the IIHS crash test data for the 2018 Leaf (presumably the same for 2019) is incomplete. Previous generation did NOT do well.

Sent from my Zenpad using Tapatalk

17. Leopold Potsiadlo

Leopold Potsiadlo New Member

I would purchase a Niro EV today. Does anyone know where I can find one . I live in Maryland.

18. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Domenick likes this.
  19. Totally misread that. I've deleted my post. Apologies.

LegoZ likes this.
  20. I don't see any listings yet, but thanks for the reminder to start looking. They should have started selling by now.

LegoZ likes this.
  21. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

I looked at Kia’s corporate site and it still shows as upcoming...

Domenick likes this.
  22. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

I've corresponded with Alison at Herson's in Rockville. Not sure how up-to-date or well informed she is, but very pleasant.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

23. RDA

RDA Member

The Niro EV has not started selling yet. Kia has not even released the official pricing. Hopefully that will happen in the next week or two but who knows. I stopped by Herson's a few months ago and the salesperson had no idea what the Niro EV was.