NG Ground Fault?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Arctiic, Aug 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Does anyone know what this error indicates in diagnostics?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Please provide some more context here... Not clear what you mean by "in diagnostics"

4. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I don’t know, but if it was me, I would guess NG means no ground and I would check to see if the wall receptacle had a failed/missing ground. Guessing is not a good idea with electricity, so if all was good with the wall receptacle, I’d get a definitive answer from the dealer on the fault.

Arctiic and ClarityDoc like this.
  5. Picture 1
    Picture 2
    Picture 3
    Picture 4
    Picture 5
    Picture 6

I have no idea where I saw "ground fault" at (maybe I just inferred it), but thanks for the advice! I'll look into that further, preferably without involving the dealer.

6. NG could mean No Good.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrFixit

I wouldn't put any weight on those... I think NG is likely No Good, but you are in the bowels of the diagnostic screens where some (maybe all) of these may be not applicable.

Let me just warn you...
    Shortly after I got my car, I was mucking around in the diagnostic menus. To my dismay, I learned that there was not always a 'cancel' or 'exit' function from a given menu. I got into a menu where there were only two choices (neither one of the choices were 'exit' or 'cancel' or 'back'). I had no choice but to randomly select one of the choices (they were cryptic codes, that meant nothing to me).

This got the vehicle into a state where the Infotainment would not boot, and the car would not turn on. I tried all kinds of things, and was about to assume that I bricked my brand new car, and would have to have it towed to the dealer.

Finally, in desperation, I disconnected and re-connected the 12V battery. There were all kinds of ominous warning lights / messages, but the car booted. Luckily, the warning messages all resolved within a few miles of driving.

The bottom line was that there doesn't seem to be anything in these menus of much value anyway. Muck with them at your own peril !!

coutinpe likes this.
  9. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

I think I got into a screen once that didn't seem to have a way out and the back key didn't work, I don't remember how I got out of it I either held down the audio power button to reboot the screen or if that didn't work I think I may have just turned off the car.

10. MrFixit

Turning the car off didn't work. Everything was frozen. As I said, I thought it was bricked.
    Fortunately the 12V power reset allowed me to recover without having to face the dealer !

11. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

But wasn't that after you made a selection in the screen that you couldn't get out of? Powering off might have worked prior to that, unless you tried that also.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MrFixit

Ah, now I see what you're saying. That may have worked.
    I didn't think of it at the time. Was caught up in thinking how stupid this is, with no way out of the menu.
    Plus, who would suspect that making the 'wrong' choice would have such a severe consequence.

14. There's a screen where you can export your system configuration to a USB drive and import it back in. I don't know exactly what does or doesn't get backed up though, and if you get into a boot loop I'm not sure it'll work at that point. There's also ADB if you manage to find the correct wireless port (or have a laptop to use in the vehicle). Regarding the screen you are talking about, my guess would be a) there's some obfuscated method to cancel and exit the screen, or b) you might be able to bypass it by explicitly calling a different intent thread via ADB (similar to deep linking).

That aside, there are plenty of useful configurations to be found. The real issue is with how restrictive the bootloader and etc are, most of the changes you make get reverted back on the next reboot anyway, which gets to be a pain to keep repeating. I know there's some method to get some and settings whitelisted, but don't know enough to have the courage to experiment with it, at least until a confirmed method to take a complete backup becomes known.