next-gen Mini SE

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CuriousGeorge, Mar 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Autoblog has a different take, including these profile images that shows how different the new style is.

upload_2021-3-19_13-43-54.png

Things that are different:
    • headlights more circular
    • NO SCOOP! (they plastered a fake one on top of the camouflage)
    • front overhang slightly reduced
    • windshield more raked
    • rear window more raked
    • aerodynamic fairings added to rear top sides under spoiler
    • door handles flush with body

CuriousGeorge likes this.
  4. CuriousGeorge

Dimpled taillights?

upload_2021-3-19_15-5-58.png

Anyway, seems like they've taken a number of steps (e.g., fairings at rear window, flush door handles) to improve the aerodynamics, which would help with range at highway speeds.

ETA: Apologies to @insightman, but the hood scoop doesn't appear to be just part of the camouflage.

insightman likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm having a difficult time imagining what changes MINI could make to get me to "upgrade." OK, 700 pounds lighter with the same EV range might tempt me--as long as I can again switch to a base MINI Cooper hood without a fake scoop.

Texas22Step and GetOffYourGas like this.
  6. Puppethead

That looks like a fake scoop ring slapped on top of the camouflage to me.

upload_2021-3-19_15-1-5.png

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

To eliminate the current cost of cutting a hole in the hood, the new fake hood scoop will be a peel-and-stick ornament.

9. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I would love an AWD mini with similar weight to the SE. I notice a lot of power drop off compared to my AWD EV due to poor traction. And even though the SE is plenty quick, more is always nice :)

10. CuriousGeorge

Certainly 'tis possible... but why?

(Either way, it appears to be 3D, which is really what I meant.)

11. insightman

Do you turn off your traction control? I never get more than a brief chirp when I accelerate.

The place where a rear driveshaft would go is filled with battery, so AWD would require a rear motor. The added weight of a rear motor would likely result in slower acceleration. Besides slowing the SE's acceleration, the added weight would also reduce the SE's range. Finally in my list of why nots, the rear motor would reduce the amount of space behind the rear seats.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

MichaelC and CuriousGeorge like this.
  14. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

What tires are you running on? Also do you keep traction control normal or off? I haven't heard a peep out of my car in terms of traction. In fact it's more solid than my previous Mini ICE S ever was. I don't see a need for AWD in these small Minis. I'll swap out for winter tires come fall.

MichaelC and insightman like this.
  15. polyphonic

The traction control is great! Far superior to that in the other FWD EVs. There are a lot of rough roads near me, which cause the Mini to cut power (as expected). I'll have to try driving without traction control on some of these roads.

A dual motor EV will zoom right through anything without a peep, which I like. Just more curious than anything what a dual motor Mini EV would feel like, if the tech would allow. It will be interesting to see what a clean-sheet design allows them to do.

16. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

What do you mean it cuts power on rough roads? To me cutting power is something I see when cold soaked below 35 or so. I am on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 I think. We have some fantastic rough roads due to construction and they grip tight.

A dual motor Mini would require size and weight that might need a bigger vehicle or no back seat. I drove the Countryman ALL4 as a loaner for a week. Would be fine for a bigger family car. Not the same as the smaller coopers for sure. The end result was traction was not improved with AWD alone. It was a much heftier car that didn't corner as well too.

17. polyphonic

Traction is limited. So I'll floor it and only see about 50% power.

18. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I'd say it's likely tires too. But turn off traction control as well. I auto do that in rain and gravel anyway.

polyphonic likes this.
  19. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

Throwing a 75 hp electric motor around the rear axle wouldn’t take up much space at all and would stop any chirping. Range might drop some, but the added power would more than make up for any extra weight.

20. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I was thinking added batteries to run said motor so range is not affected. You do need space for that.

Then again as I said I have had zero chirping. I'm not gentle in driving either. These are better tires than my old and I suggest that switching might help.

Also to be real if I wanted a dual motor I'd have gone elsewhere.

21. Puppethead

MINI also went to great lengths to tune the drive to avoid wheel slip, like is seen in other EVs. Even when I "mat" the accelerator I don't notice any wheel slip when traction control is on.

insightman and Lainey like this.
  22. CuriousGeorge

Someone on the Reddit Mini forum stated that the next-gen Mini SE will have ~250 WLTP miles of range. Can anyone here confirm?

Semi-related, anybody know what the current battery pack weighs? That might give some insight into whether the claimed range increase would be due to a larger (and heaver) battery, or improved battery tech. (Not going to gain 70% just by improving efficiency.)

23. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Too early for any real numbers IMO. My gut says that's wishful thinking.

The battery including wiring and such is about 440 pounds.